Snake eats cat, owner says "it's just nature"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Morph-lette

Reaction score
This is what is meant to happen! I think that the woman was fantastic to behave in the way that she did!

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22729296-910,00.html

A SNAKE in Queensland has taken the cream by gobbling down a family cat.

January Clay, of Redlynch in Cairns, got the shock of her life when she saw her fully-grown cat disappearing down the throat of the 3m python.

She had let the cat outside about 5.30am on Wednesday morning and when she went to check on it 30 minutes later made the gruesome discovery.

"When I came out of the house the cat's legs were hanging out of its mouth," she told The Cairns Post yesterday.

"I knew there were snakes about, but I never expected one to come into my yard."

Ms Clay only moved to Redlynch four months ago and had not seen a snake in the outdoor area before.

Despite her sadness at seeing her five-year-old pet killed by the python, she was not upset at the snake.

"It's just nature, he was just doing what he normally does," she said. "My cat was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

The python eventually left of its own accord.

Ms Clay's attitude is in stark contrast with some other Cairns residents, who have recently played a role in bludgeoning several native species including pythons and a crocodile to death.

Tropical Wildlife Protection president Anthea McAllan applauded Ms Clay's actions.

"I definitely do commend her for not doing anything to the snake," Ms McAllan said. "They've got their place in the ecosystem and it's important that we respect that."

She said the best thing to do was to keep cats indoors or build a snake proof enclosure to avoid such a tragic event.

The Cairns Post

I like this story. It is full of common sense and natural justice!

Good on her. if only we can get the rest of Australia to act like that.

It's a nice looking scrubby too :)

Its about time it was the cat that was eaten. A bit of a roll reversal:lol:

What a great story to read.... I mean unfortunate for the Cat...

But good to see the owner has common sense about what happened..... :)

Haha awesome. That would have been my reaction too, if a snake ate my cat :lol:

We used to have a cat she was great but we used to lock her up at night,and through the day she wore a bell around her neck and was kept in the yard by a high fence.Good on her for the great attitude.

Don't wanna start the cat argument up or anything but bells only make them better at killing.

I think its a shame they dont focus on how irresponsible she is for killing her cat and risking our native wildlife.

cris said:
I think its a shame they dont focus on how irresponsible she is for killing her cat and risking our native wildlife.

Huh?

She puts the cat outside where it can easily get killed and kill other animals, this is not responsible cat ownership and is actually technically illegal. Sure it worked out good on this occasion but more often than not the cat will survive and kill native wildlife etc.

Ah ok, I get where you are coming from now. I wouldn't really say she was responsible for the death of her cat though, it was just bad luck and bad timing. Lots of people keep their dog in the backyard, and a snake could easily come into your yard, bite the dog and kill it (assuming the snake was venemous of course).

As far as allowing the cat to roam and kill wildlife, I totally agree. Very irresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back