Snake eats cat, owner says "it's just nature"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another zombie thread resurrected to wander the halls of the internet crying out "BRAIINS, BRAIIIIIINS".
Mind you - this is an exceptionally interesting thread, especially as it occurs around the time a scrubby was hacked to death and a small croc hooked and killed in the same area.

Go easy! He is new to the forum and is obviously doing the right thing in reading/researching through old threads rather than just posting willy nilly all over the place. Ive seen how people shoot down those that join and then start posting new threads on topics that have been covered before.

If people are against the resurfacing of old threads, then maybe they should be automatically deleted after a certain time... bring in a shelf life of dormant threads?

I hadnt seen this thread, but i enjoyed reading about it thanks to the bump :D

Last edited:
Go easy! He is new to the forum and is obviously doing the right thing in reading/researching through old threads rather than just posting willy nilly all over the place. Ive seen how people shoot down those that join and then start posting new threads on topics that have been covered before.

I don't really mind old threads resurfacing but I would have preferred if people resurfaced them just by saying bump or by actually adding useful information. Answering a question that has already been answered in the thread several times looks like he has not even read the thread and could be just trolling.

Answering a question that has already been answered in the thread several times looks like he has not even read the thread and could be just trolling.

That why I deleted mine; I didn't actually notice it was a 4yo thread at first. Hey, it was late, I haven't slept properly in weeks lol... but in my defense the question I was answering hadn't been answered yet.

i like the caption at the bottom that said "This 3m python swallowed an adult cat whole"

I hope that is not the impression I made :cry:

I was directing my comment to anyone.... just generalising. Just seems people get shot down for bumping up old threads, but ive found a lot of the threads that get bumped to be an interesting read! :)

I don't really mind old threads resurfacing but I would have preferred if people resurfaced them just by saying bump or by actually adding useful information. Answering a question that has already been answered in the thread several times looks like he has not even read the thread and could be just trolling.

Valid point though!! Like a thread a while back that i saw bumped. I think it was a good old 'help me pick a name....' that everyone loves :lol: Someone was nice enough to suggest a name about 4yrs too late!

Just wondering how a bell makes them better at killing?And not everyone has scrub pythons in there backyard.If the cat is in your own backyard which she couldnt get out of.People have dogs in the backyard which kill all sorts of things but nobody says anything about a dog.

Very true...I like Dogs better than Cats but the hypocrisy is incredibly annoying...Dogs are every bit as destructive to unprepared native wildlife as cats are...Yet people constantly moan and bitch about cats but say nothing about dogs.

Wow. I am not sure I would have reacted that way. However, my cats dont' go anywhere near my snakes and my snakes are way too small to do any damage to the cats. I guess I wouldn't be too happy if a snake ate my cat, however animals rely on instinct and you can't blame them for that.

That's true but IMO the point is that the majority of dogs don't go crawling through other people's property or the neighboring parks destroying wildlife like cats do. I wish I had a scrubbie in my backyard at times....

Well I don't live in Australia so I have no idea but people seem to like to think that Dogs are somehow less of killers/less predatory than cats are and that's just complete crap...My dog pretty much attacks/kills any smaller wild animal that he sees and is every bit as predatory as any cat I have ever owned...It's because people like dogs better( as do I) but lets be real here...That small lizard that was a cat killed would meet the same fate if it was unlucky enough to encounter a dog.

Aren't Cassowaries being devastated by packs of feral dogs?

I guess I wouldn't be too happy if a snake ate my cat, however animals rely on instinct and you can't blame them for that.

Unless of course they are cats...in which case they are evil satanic monsters that need to be ruthlessly killed.

Last edited:
Well I don't live in Australia so I have no idea but people seem to like to think that Dogs are somehow less of killers/less predatory than cats are and that's just complete crap...It's a function of range and capability. The cats in question (domestic) are not limited to a single yard. The problem is when they are free to roam the neighborhood, etc... coupled with a FAR more savage predatory intstinct than Canis lupus familiaris, they can lay waste to local populations. My dog pretty much attacks/kills any smaller wild animal that he sees and is every bit as predatory as any cat That may be, but your dog, by simple genetics, will never be as capable a predator as Fluffy the house cat. Ever. I have ever owned...It's because people like dogs better( as do I) No and irrelevant. What you see on this forum is "reptile people" having a problem with "cat people" letting their animals run willy nilly in the streets. I personally love cats but the last one that chased my chicken/snake food around the yard copped a size 14 in the head. but lets be real here...That small lizard that was a cat killed would meet the same fate if it was unlucky enough to encounter a dog. Grammatical abortion aside, you are either being deliberately obtuse, or you just don't comprehend how Aussie herpers feel about their local herpetofauna.

Aren't Cassowaries being devastated by packs of feral dogs? Cassowaries are being devastated by habitat destruction and regular encounters with thousands of pounds of fast moving steel.

Unless of course they are cats...in which case they are evil satanic monsters that need to be ruthlessly killed.

What was this thread about again?

No, I don't think so (feel free to correct me), I put it down to land clearing etc.

Feral dog attacks are a significant cause of Cassowary mortality.

"Unrestrained and wild dogs are a major cause of cassowary deaths, particularly in areas near residential development. Chicks and sub-adults are small enough to be killed by dogs. However, packs of dogs also kill adult birds, pursuing them until they are exhausted, then attacking them. Dogs also indirectly affect cassowaries through their very presence, influencing the feeding, movements and general behaviour of the birds. Domestic dogs can also attack and kill cassowaries when they wander into suburban areas seeking food or water."

Cassowary (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

Dogs are a significant threat to Cassowaries.

The problem is when they are free to roam the neighborhood, etc... coupled with a FAR more savage predatory intstinct than Canis lupus familiaris, they can lay waste to local populations.

I disagree 100 percent...Cats are definitely more efficient solo hunters but from my experience they are no more or less predatory than dogs.

That may be, but your dog, by simple genetics, will never be as capable a predator as Fluffy the house cat. Ever.

Yes that is true if we are talking about 1 dog...But most of the time it is dogs as in plural. Dogs are pack animals and the type of feral dogs that devastate local wildlife usually do it in packs...A pack of feral dogs is a hell of a formidable killing force that can bring down nearly anything. Every bit as devastating as any cat

No and irrelevant. What you see on this forum is "reptile people" having a problem with "cat people" letting their animals run willy nilly in the streets. I personally love cats but the last one that chased my chicken/snake food around the yard copped a size 14 in the head.

Well thats just because most of the killings that people witness are domestic cats killing animals...Doesn't mean that dogs don't kill just as many animals as cats do..It's just that feral dogs are the ones doing the killing and many people have no clue that this is happening.

Grammatical abortion aside, you are either being deliberately obtuse, or you just don't comprehend how Aussie herpers feel about their local herpetofauna

I would say the Latter...But you just admitted it yourself....The discussion isn't about which causes more damage to local wildlife on a overall scale...Its just which causes more damage to the local herpetofauna...Since that is domestic cats, they take the brunt of the blame and criticism when in reality feral dogs are as big of a threat to local wildlife overall as cats are.

So I guess it depends on what this discussion is really about. And of course I am basing my replies on what is the case for America...I have no idea if this applies for Australia..

So actullay after thinking it over...maybe you should just ignore my posts lol. Because Australia isn't America.

And plus their are additional reasons why you should not let your cat go outside...Even if you ignore the impact they have on local wildlife...their are other reasons and you don't want your cat eating rodents....I'll just leave it at that

Last edited:
Very true...I like Dogs better than Cats but the hypocrisy is incredibly annoying...Dogs are every bit as destructive to unprepared native wildlife as cats are...Yet people constantly moan and bitch about cats but say nothing about dogs.

the difference is, councils put restrictions on dogs, IE, they must stay on the right side of the fence, and when theyre not they must be on a leash.

there are no restrictions on cats whatsoever, and cat owners feel the right to let their horrible critters roam and kill.

i dont hate cats, i hate cat owners and their attitudes..

the difference is, councils put restrictions on dogs, IE, they must stay on the right side of the fence, and when theyre not they must be on a leash.

there are no restrictions on cats whatsoever, and cat owners feel the right to let their horrible critters roam and kill.

i dont hate cats, i hate cat owners and their attitudes..

Okay fair enough..I agree with you that their should be restrictions on cats to prevent the death of local wildlife especially since most of the small local wildlife has no idea how to deal with such an aggressive predator...having never evolved with them.( through cats have been around for 200 years in OZ)

I can't say I particularly love cats either...but I understand that extreme predatory instincts are vital to their survival just like any other mega-carnivore. Felines are no different from any other hyper carnivore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back