Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclamen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
last night i was admiring my 2 yr old carpet python sliding up the glass doors in her enclosure, wondering what the hell she was doing.
well....this morning i awoke to see her glass sliding door had been opened about 2 cms and she was missing. naturally i freaked out and went crazy turning the house upside down.
then we noticed my daughters cat was acting freaked out by the washing machine. after searching it for 5 mins we opened the lid to find a sleeping carpet python curled up inside. i couldnt believe it. so now, i have gone to bunnings and brought thin round wood and put it in the sliding glass tracks. i cant believe she opened it.
thought i would share this with everyone so they know to make sure there sliding doors are snake proof :shock:
thanks
mel.

Rather than dowel, think about heading back to bunnings and picking up a sliding glass door lock. It will cost you about $10 and means you can lock the doors closed and keep your snake in, and other people out.

http://www.cglass.co.uk/images/T/t-17107-551.jpeg

t-17107-551.jpeg

Many members have made a similar thing using a piece of twisted wire, for no, or almost no cost. Maybe someone could post a pic of their system up for you too.

:)

This is the exact reason why i dont like sliding glass doors. ........

Nothing beats solid timber for a side or top opening enclosure.. and you can put nice lock and key on them....

Mel, I'm glad you found your snake. Lucky you didn't find it after you did the washing :)

You always make me smile...

yes sliding doos sux. hinged doors are the only way to go imo.
The few tanks i have with sliding glass doors, (from back in my early days), will all eventually be changed over to hinged doors.

I killed a little green tree frog in my washing machine a year or so back. I had no idea it was hiding somewhere in there and I put a wash on, (hot water wash too, which I only do once a month or so) and when I took the washing out to hang up, a little dead GTF fell out.

I actually cried over the whole situation and felt bad for ages, still feel bad.

:(

yeah,she was fine. i picked her up and she rubbed her face straight along my nose like she always does when i get her. she is a really placid snake. she is happy, just had a rat. lol

better than me this moring, i put my yearling bredli in the tree out the back this morning, for some natural sunlight as i do once or twice a week for a half hour or so.... went inside for a min, came back out and he was still there... looked at the back tap and turned back (20 secs tops) and he was gone! searched the backyard pooping myself! couldnt find him, went inside asked the g/f to come help me look and she found him over by the shed curled up behind a cactus...

SCARY! never leave them for even 20 secs without your eye on them!

You are really lucky you found him. So many people have lost theirs without finding them. I would've been stressing so bad.
TX-III - you are lucky a bird didn't take your snake!

good to hear ya snake is ok mel...lucky da cat didnt get her...

I put my snakesout on the rotary clothes line for the sun. I have a charf bag with lots of pegs streched accross the wires where they enjoy the sun. I wind it fully up and my snakes stay there because they can't get down. BUT my large 7-9ft carpets - blackheads - Olives sometimes' get down the centre pole to the winder then onto the ground. Wed morning I put my BlckHead out and forgot about him. When I realised what had happened it was to late he was gone.
We searched everywhere but couldn't find him. GOOD NEWS 10am the next morning a neighbour 4doors away had him at her front door. SOMETIMES we can be lucky!!

I put my snakesout on the rotary clothes line for the sun. I have a charf bag with lots of pegs streched accross the wires where they enjoy the sun. I wind it fully up and my snakes stay there because they can't get down. BUT my large 7-9ft carpets - blackheads - Olives sometimes' get down the centre pole to the winder then onto the ground. Wed morning I put my BlckHead out and forgot about him. When I realised what had happened it was to late he was gone.
We searched everywhere but couldn't find him. GOOD NEWS 10am the next morning a neighbour 4doors away had him at her front door. SOMETIMES we can be lucky!!

What was the neighbour's reaction like? Nice surprise for them!
That is really lucky.
The closest i have come to an escape was when i was cleaning my diamond pythons cage out and i had him in a pillow case. He sqeezed through the rubber band that i had tied it up with and was just sitting, casually on the dining table.

The neighbour was up tight with "a SNAKE trying to get into the house" quote, but fortunately all the people for a block or more know that I'm into snakes. We live on a corner and when the front garage doors are up my snake enclosures are visable to people going past AND i wave to them all - they call it good PR and it works when they have a questions or whatever.

When i'm cleaning ecnlsures my snakes always sit on the dining table or the recliner chair. Just like the dogs - spoiled. Never had one escape thought. i think i would move out of our 8" olive got out. Sorry but waking up to find a 8" snake in my bed i don't care which one it is I'm going to freak out. (not a morning person)

my girl is only 1 meter. i hav her in a seperate tank feeding while i clean her enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back