Snake Handler bitten by Taipan

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know a bloke who has a retic up here and nearly lost his arm. the guy was graham gow. funny story, he was feeding it chickens and it bit his hand. it was to strong for him to pull it off so when the tourists came it took 5 of them to pull it off. it was a big snake, 5m i think.this was when he used to have a place near my place. he moved after someone stole his green tree python breeding pair.

The guy had a Retic in Australia? And you mentioned his name? Unless it was declared under the amnesty (highly doubtful) or was part of a zoo, that wasn't a smart move.

greaham bow would be allowed to keep just about anything he wants i would reckon, and i don't think that everyone who keeps hots would get bitten at some stage or another but their is that very high risk, even if u do use the propper procedures and all their is still a risk involved.

I reckon keeping venemous in a zoo would be a lot different than a person who keeps them privately. There would be a lot more transferring to public displays etc which would increase opportunities to be bitten. I think some of those enclosures are front opening too. I saw one show where Wes was feeding a Taipan with the front of enclosure open. The Taipan lunged at the mouse, missed and fell out the front of the cage.He was lucky not to be bitten then.
I only keep one Tiger Snake but I treat him a lot differently to my pythons. I have not come close to being bitten and I don't intend to.
Snakeman ( the older members will remember Tony) explained his set up with his Taipan. Apparently he had to have a divider in the enclosure so he could isolate the snake in order to change the water or clean the cage.It was required by law that he have this type of set up.

Greebo - they don't transfer the animals to public display, they live in there. They are front opening, yes, but they are also very big enclosures so they can open the end where there is no snake. They don't handle the snakes in them enclosures, they literally come out once ever 4-6 months for a full clean out of the substrate. The snakes coming out the front of the enclosures is common in feeding, I've seen it happen a lot. The general public is kept behind a barrier, and there is 3 people to stop the snakes getting to them. Everyone is equipped with hooks and grab sticks. Wes wasn't lucky - Wes is skillful.

They live in there?
I would of thought they would rotate the snakes on display as other zoos do to stop the animlas from stressing out. Then again, I forgot who owns the zoo.

... deleted by admin

If the animals were stressed, would they be as calm as the ones in there? Would they feed? Would they breed? No, they wouldn't.

i remember that marc said something on the inland tiapan once. i think he said he quit the zoo after they didnt swap the snake with any of the others they have.

Sorry dude.
I didn't say you were wrong. I just expected that they would rotate the animals on display. You have worked there and obviously know what goes on there better than I.

I have decided not to pass the details on of my mate who breeds browns. I can not in good faith, recommend some one who thinks I am retarded (again with that word) to one of my friends.

Well it isn't actually for me. If you would like to pass the details on to a guy named Craig, you could. His email is [email protected]

If you decide not to, hey, not my problem, but it'd be fairly childish in my opinion.

Hmmm...you insult me by calling me retarded and now childish...
and you really think I am going to help you out?

Perhaps your good buddies at Australia Zoo can hook you up with some Brown snakes?

OK. A reminder that name calling and inflamatory comments are not on... This one looks like it is about to cross the line...
Please keep it civil gentlemen.

A timely reminder Nicole.
The point I was trying to make is that Venemous Snakes in zoos are kept in different conditions to private collections. I was actually thinking more of places like Austalian Reptile Park that also milk their snakes which obviously presents more opportunities to be bitten. I made the mistake of mentioning Australia Zoo ( I think someone there got bitten ).
This is just my opinion, unfortunately some people disagree and have to resort to name calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back