Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Click on "green tree snake" in your post. It links to an article that says they are venomous.

And if you go to the sources of that article and click on the more reputable of the two, Australian Reptiles Down Under, you will have a page that contains the info "non venomous" check the sources you nitwit.

Last edited:
danish

Click on "green tree snake" in your post. It links to an article that says they are venomous.

oops didnt meen that.
there a non venomous colubrid,no fangs or glands.
They eat there prey live
Is this a gee up???

Last edited:
Direct quote from "A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia" By Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan... *Third edition* - but 2nd edition also states the same, and I'm sure (if i had it or looked at a mates copy) the 1st edition would also state it too...

Colubrid Snakes
Family Colubrinae

Colubrinae, the largest and most diverse group within the family, is represented here by the tree snakes (Dendrelaphis and Boiga) and the moisture-loving genus Stegonotus. Colubrinae includes completely non-venomous (solid-toothed) and weakly venomous, rear-fanged species.
Natricinae is represented by the Keelback (Tropidonophis mairii), a non-venomous, moisture-loving species with strongly keeled scales.
No Australian colubrids are considered dangerous to humans.

Genus Boiga (Subfamily Colubrinae)

Brown Tree Snake; 'Night Tiger'
Boiga irregularis TL 2m
Sole Aust. sp.; many others in South-East Asia and South Asia. Long, slender, weakly venomous, rear-fanged snake with bulbous head distinct from narrow neck and large prominent eyes with cat-like vertical pupils.
Aggressive if threatened but not normally regarded as dangerous. Very large specimens could produce uncomfortable symptoms.

Tree Snakes
Genus Dendrelaphis (Subfamily Colubrinae)

Two Aust. ssp., with many others in NG and South-East Asia. Non-venomous, very slender snakes with long thin tails and an angular ventrolateral keel along each side of body.

Northern Tree Snake Dendrelaphis calligastra TL 1m
Harmless.

Common Tree Snake; Green Tree Snake Dendrelaphis punctulata TL 1.2m
Harmless.

Genus Stegonotus (Subfamily Colubrinae)

Two non-venomous Aust. spp., with others ranging from NG to South-East Asia.

Slaty-Grey Snake Stegonotus cucullatus TL 1.3m
Harmless.

Slate-brown Snake Stegonotus parvus TL 800mm
Harmless.

Genus Tropidonophis (Subfamily Natricinae)

Keelback; Freshwater Snake
Tropidonophis mairii TL 930mm
One Aust. sp., with many others extending from NG to South-East Asia. Non-venomous snake with moderately large eye and round pupil.
Harmless.

I'm sure this isnt the only book/publication that would confirm this information... I could also quote where "Field Guide to Australian Reptiles" By Stephen Swanson or where "Encyclopedia of Australian Wildlife" By Reader's Digest, or the other Field guides and such states identical confirmations of this information too, but I'm sure its unecessary... It is, afterall... Only APS...

I'd say this is just an automated thing (linking to that kind of thing) that APS does with words it recognises as snakes or frequently mentioned snakes/common names etc... As I didnt link anything, yet I'm pretty sure it linked/hyperlinked to one of its "FAQ" type article things (I couldnt be stuffed to see what it actually links to as I'm not interested)...

Last edited:
And if you go to the sources of that article and click on the more reputable of the two, Australian Reptiles Down Under, you will have a page that contains the info "non venomous" check the sources you nitwit.
Those 2 links at the bottom of the article BOTH say that they are non venomous. They are related links not sources. If you check my posts you will see that I have not said whether they are venomous or not. I was merely pointing out to Danish that the direct link in his post contradicted what he said in that same post. I'm not sure why that makes me a nitwit!

oops didnt meen that.
there a non venomous colubrid,no fangs or glands.
They eat there prey live
Is this a gee up???
No worries, I agree with you. The link is an automated one by APS. I was just pointing out the contradictions that occured in your post. Cheers.:lol:

It took me a while to comes to terms with it, but D punctulata are most certainly venomous. I only thought it was the Brown Tree snakes, but recent studies have confirmed they do have venom and use it to subdue frogs etc.

I can't be chuffed finding the links...don't make me do it :lol:

Ahh...think i'm going to bed...lol

at the end of the day, I keep em and handle them regulary. If they were "venemous" as in - bite with fangs and inject venom that could do u harm, I definately would not be letting my kids handle them,,, which by the way I do!

Thye have little teeth. no fangs. Harmless, except for there lovely aroma that does stink if they get startled when getting them out occasionly lol.

As for the technical side of things and there classification nomenclature / true literature descripttion,, I'll leave that to people smarter than me.:)

Quote from Dr Brian Fry...

Yep, Stegonotus have venom, as do the other Aussie 'colubrids' such as Boiga, Cerberus, Dendrelaphis, Fordonia, Myron, Tropidonophis. This is consistent with our research that shows that 'colubrids' worldwide are all venomous (with the very narrow exception of the temperate zone 'Elaphe-type' (e.g. Lampropeltis/Pantherophis/Pituophis and close relatives) which have undergone a secondary loss of venom and reverted back to the more primative constricting condition. We have a paper coming out showing that the toxicity of the 'colubrid' venoms is drop for drop as potent as comparative elapid venoms but the key is that the venom delivery is less efficient and the venom yield lower as well. So, they can deliver enough via their many sharp teeth to settle down a frog but typically not able to cause observable human effects. There are of course exceptions to this, with each of the various 'colubrid' families having at least one genus of snakes capable of causing severe or even lethal envenomations.

Colubrid snakes are not a homogenous group. They are what were left over when everything else was put into groups. So they are particularly variable as a family. So it is difficult to make generalisations about the group. A couple are highly venomous (e.g.Boomslang), some are mildly venomous (e.g. Brown tree Snake), and some are non-venomous (e.g. Keelback). However, we now know there is another group – they produce venom but lack any venom apparatus to inject it i.e. have no fangs. The Green Tree Snake falls into this category.

At this stage only the existence of venom has been demonstrated. Its purpose is yet to be properly determined. As anyone who has observed one of these snakes eating a frog would know, the frog is eaten alive and not slowed down in any way, for it squeals until the last swallow. However, it is hypothesised that the venom component of the snake’s saliva helps to begin the digestive process once wallowed. So it is produced to coat the outside of the frog as it is being ingested. This would explain its absence from a defensive bite from these snakes.

So even though they technically produce venom, in terms of bites to humans they are effectively non-venomous.

Blue

Colubrid snakes are not a homogenous group. They are what were left over when everything else was put into groups. So they are particularly variable as a family. So it is difficult to make generalisations about the group. A couple are highly venomous (e.g.Boomslang), some are mildly venomous (e.g. Brown tree Snake), and some are non-venomous (e.g. Keelback). However, we now know there is another group – they produce venom but lack any venom apparatus to inject it i.e. have no fangs. The Green Tree Snake falls into this category.

At this stage only the existence of venom has been demonstrated. Its purpose is yet to be properly determined. As anyone who has observed one of these snakes eating a frog would know, the frog is eaten alive and not slowed down in any way, for it squeals until the last swallow. However, it is hypothesised that the venom component of the snake’s saliva helps to begin the digestive process once wallowed. So it is produced to coat the outside of the frog as it is being ingested. This would explain its absence from a defensive bite from these snakes.

So even though they technically produce venom, in terms of bites to humans they are effectively non-venomous.

Blue

Thankyou, bluetongue1, you bet me to it...they are solid toothed, not neddled, and not grooved. so they have no way of injecting venom. But like a lot of Australian snakes, again its not the venom that you have to worry about..

Blue

perfect explanation but im still confused

Bearded dragons are more venomous than a green tree snake if you go by that logic.

Green tree snakes are venomous, there is no debate. They have a toxin that is stored in a venom gland that is released into mouth of the snake while it chews. The sharp teeth cut the prey item and allow for tranmission into the prey item. This is not as evolved as in some other colubrids but that is not the point.

Cheers
scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back