Snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor Madness

Reaction score
Hi guys im hoping someone can help with this snake ID. Its from Springwood in the Blue Mountains NSW.
Unfortunately my mates dog got it but in curious to know what it is. Sorry the photos not the best.
414650_10150474617777032_521027031_9107361_702088006_o.jpg

it's a young Tiger Snake (Notechis scutatus). You can tell by the banding and colouration, head shape and squarish frontal shield in the middle of the head.

been on many herp trips around springwood never found tigers. everyother species thinkable but not tigers must have just been unlucky. Hows the dog?

there are isolated pockets in seq where tigers can be found
I have been shown photos from herping nights of close mates who were very surprised to find what they did

The Tiger is from Springwood in the Blue Mountains NSW. They also occur in SE Qld and an isolated population up at Carnarvon Gorge

been on many herp trips around springwood never found tigers. everyother species thinkable but not tigers must have just been unlucky. Hows the dog?
The dogs alive so it's very lucky but the snake came off second best and died. I've seen death adders, browns and red bellies around the area but nothing like that which is why I was unsure.
Thanks again

it's a young Tiger Snake (Notechis scutatus). You can tell by the banding and colouration, head shape and squarish frontal shield in the middle of the head.
I agree with Saratoga. It looks like an Eastern Tiger Snake (Notechis scutatus). This species has been found near Springwood but they're not common in this locality.

I cant speak for Springwood but Hazelbrook on there be tigers aplenty.

It seems that they prefer the cooler temps of the higher altitudes, like in S.E QLD.

Here are another couple of photos. i roughly measured it to be 450mm long so there is atleast another two out there plus siblings.
Its sitting on A4 paper
IMG_5466.jpgIMG_5470.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back