Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aurorastorm

Reaction score
Hello,

I found this snake in my yard yesterday, I have never seen a snake like this around my area. If someone could help me Identify this snake I would great appreciate your help :) I live on the Atherton Tablelands in North Queensland west of Cairns.
I have asked a few people what they think it might of been they have said its a night tiger (but from photos on the net it looks to be to dark to be one of those).

Here's the snake ( it was darker in real life)

DSCF3225.jpg

Definatly not a night tiger. My guess is also tiger snake.

Could be wrong but it looks like Tropidechis carinatus to me.Rough scaled snake

i was thinking that coz u dont get tigers up north do you?

Looks like a Rough Scaled Snake
Tropidechis carinatus
Be careful with these guys, they hate the world and would love to take it out on you.

Yeah thats what i'm not sure about. I didn't think you got tigers that far norther either.

But from my knowledge of rought scaled snakes they look very similar to keelbacks, and that doesn't look like a keelback, the head is to broad.

Could be wrong but it looks like Tropidechis carinatus to me.Rough scaled snake

Im with Ramsayi it looks like a Roughy

Be careful, Tropidechis carinatus, are dangerously venomous.

Sometimes mistaken for keelbacks the non-venomous colubrid Tropidonophis mairii.

They both have keeled scales.

WOW thanks so much for replying so quickly :)
I thought it might of been a rough scaled snake too, from what I could find out using Google.
Here's another photo, it was rather nasty as my dog was trying to chase it out of the yard. I have been finding quite a lot of baby snakes in the yard, they are dead though unfortunately I think my cat got them :( so maybe this is the Mum, I really haven't a clue about snakes (so many thanks to everyone for helping me.) I get concerned as I have 4 young children. We normally get the grass snakes, water snakes and if its dry red bellies but this one has stumped me.

snake3.jpg

Snakeunsure.jpg

That snake is definately a Tropidechis carinatus. They can get quite stroppy if annoyed and should be left alone unless you are an expierienced snake handler. Their venom is similar to a tiger snake. Their head is broader than the harmless keelback, and the roughy has single anal and sub caudal scales. The keelbacks anal and sub caudal scales are all divided.

It also looks like it's been injured along the rear third of it's body.

Thanks Rexs1 for your reply, and now I know what it is (which is good) Yeah I don't know if it had been run over or what, maybe the horses stood on it. Do they normally return to the same spot and do you think if it comes back should I call someone to remove it from my yard?? I'm terrified now that I know its dangerous.

Thanks Again

It's a rough scaled, I was playing with a baby tiger snake the other day and the little guy looked nothing like this...

This is a pic of a rough scaled I found on the net... Looks the same don't they?
TroSad1a.jpg

I have been finding quite a lot of baby snakes in the yard, they are dead though unfortunately I think my cat got them :(

Like a bunch of people have already stated, definately of Rough Scale.

P.S. You really shouldn't be letting your cat roam around freeto kill native animals

Personally I would rather my cat kill dangerous animals that are in my yard rather than my children getting hurt. I know that that may seem cruel to some people, And I'm sorry I don't share the love for snakes as you do. My dogs probably already killed the snake because he protects our yard . And I'm glad of that!
But if he hasn't I will call someone to get rid of the snake, I don't want it in the yard.

Thanks for the replies.

Definately call someone to remove it...

..and you don't want your dog getting to it...you're dog is just as likely to get bitten...

Fair enough you don't want venomous snakes in your yard around the kids but that is what snakecatchers are for, letting your out where it is obviously killing wildlife is irresponsible pet ownership...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back