Snake Id

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettix

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I found this snake down the road,and only bought him home to photograph it
and then released it.
He looks to me like a small-eyed snake but all the ones ive found are black.
This one is alot lighter like light grey with whiteish sides,any idea?

Attachments

• pics 075.jpg
    pics 075.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 96
  • pics 078.jpg
    pics 078.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 61
  • pics 079.jpg
    pics 079.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 56
  • pics 080.jpg
    pics 080.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 57
yes it does look like it going to shed,it might turn black after shed but i dont think so,
this one is grey.

they do look much lighter when opaque though so its hard to tell. One of my water pythons goes really light grey with a salmon coloured belly when opaque so they can look completely different to normal.

nice find

nice
small eyed snake(cryptophis nigrescens)

by looking at the dorsal,top surface of the snake definatly shows as a small eyed snake.
highly venomous
cheers steve.:lol:

I picked him up from its tail and did have a few strikes but stayed out of his way.
Ithink they are classed in australia's top 10 deadly,does anyone know ?

dont think top ten but they were thought to have been harmless up until 60's or 70's and were commonly kept as pets. people found out that they were deadly when a guy got tagged and died. he didnt do anything cause he believed they were harmless.

they are deadly if untreated
nice find.

highly venomous

They are very fast to strike, they also deliver a very toxic bite, The venom is rich in myotoxic activity(example muscle damaged) the myotoxic function is called cryptoxin which is a substance having a poisonous effect on cells which is destruction of the muscles and could continue after envenimation for days , you could die from dehydration,renal failure,and go into a cardiac arrest stop breathing.
specific antivenom is tiger snake
initial dose is 3000 units
there venom yeild is 8 mg

cheers steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back