Snake Jawstructure discussion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleHerp

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok.. so im not too worried about it, with my snake (2yr Morelia spilota mcdowelli) i just went to go pull him out of his enclosure for a little play and UV outside and whatnot..

when i saw him, he had his mouth held semi open..
looking inside his mouth he was breathing normally, no clicking or wheezing, and the colour of his mouth is fine.. so that rules out RI.

i checked the temperatures and that seems ok, 31-26 gradient..

he hasnt pooed today so its not that either.

i know sometimes snakes can do this to re-align thier jawstructure, but this was longer then usual, and his jaws werent fully stretched out..

this got me thinking..

im just wondering if herpers whom have kept for a period longer then 3-4 years and know what they are talking about could help me out, and we can make a discussion of it.

I have contacts that i could call and ask, so its not a plea for help, but im just curious to see others opinions, as also, a scrub python where i work (volunteraly) had its mouth open fully oustretched directly facing the heat lamp, probably to heat up more quickly or some other reason.

so there could be other reasons for holding thier jaws open from time to time, and i am curious as to what they could be :)

thanks,

Nat ;) x

Nobody has anything to ad? or to start the discussion?

Nat ;) x

Something like this newer happen to my snakes.
Some times I worry when they strike on glass during the feeding time, they can damage they teeth. But Now when I think about that, maybe they can damage they jaw that way also.
No idea what else that can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back