Snake Licences in Australia, can someone please explain.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Reaction score
Living in the UK you don't need a licence to own a non venomous snake. I frequently read on here about licences and licence upgrades. Could someone please explain what you have to do to obtain a licence in Australia, how long they last, and the costs involved please. It strikes me as ironic that you guys need a licence to keep your native snakes yet in the UK we can purchase without. Thanks for your help.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

If you want to own a reptile you need to obtain a wildlife license. Anybody can get one, and the form asks questions about your personal details and criminal records and intention in buying venomous snakes.
A basic license costs about $60 a year. An advanced License cost about $150 a year... Advanced license allows you too keep species such as womas, GTPs and Rough-Scaled Pythons...
You need to keep a record book with details of all the snakes you own and who you sell them to/buy them off... when they breed etc.

Thats pretty much it!

You could call it ironic but I love the idea. It makes people realize that they aren't "throw away pets" and require commitment. Keeping it brief I'd prefer to be allowed to keep more and the fees could be lower but that's just cos' I'm a broke student living in the most strict state of Australia ;)

unless your in W.A and then its costs over 100$ atleast to be able to keep anything decent

The rules, regulations, requirements and costs all vary between the different states and territories. I'm not sure on the specifics for most of them, but SA allows you to keep one reptile (not all species) without a license. In the ACT, it's about $40 for a 5 year license. You also need import and export permits to move animals between the states and territories. These are free for the ACT, but some states charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back