Snake sex

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miffy

Reaction score
Ok, this might sound like a dumb question but i am a beginner.

How do u tell what sex your snake is?

I couldn't even really find that area on my snake :shock:

Pics would be appreciated.

Probing!!! Should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing cause incorrectly done can harm your snake.

Thanks for the info,

I purchased it at Amazing Amazon, and there was one male and one female, so I assume they must of had them probed.

I ended up getting the female as I was told they are worth more in the years to come if I decided to ever sell her ( I cant see that happening) or if I wish to breed her.

Also the male was darker and had less pronounced "diamonds".

Plus when an adult I might get an extra 2 foot of snake for free hehe.

You should have just got both!!! :wink:

RE: Re: RE: Snake sex

haha you hooked me on the topic with 'sex'.
yes have a pro probe them. i don't want to try and learn because i'm afraid i'd damage any snake i tried it on (i've seen it done to my snake, and she writhed enough to make it awkward for the guy doing it)

this may sound a bit grose but i used to practice on fresh road kill snakes when we would go out herping that way if u stuff up you dont have much to worrie about

Depending on the species, you can tell quite easily by looking at base of the tail. This is particularly easy with some elapids, but is also very easy in some adult pythons.

The following example is of a species which shows about as extreme a level of sexual dimorphism as they get. Note the longer tail on the male and bulge posterior of the vent.

Male:

Maletail.jpg

Female:

Femaletail.jpg

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Snake sex

The only 100% way to tell is the crystal pendulum method, I can't believe no-one's told him to try that :roll:

Miffy said:
I purchased it at Amazing Amazon, and there was one male and one female, so I assume they must of had them probed.

It might pay to get it double checked. If you ask Brian at the Herp Shop nicely he may do it for you.

It is amazing how many so called pairs end up being pairs of males ;-)

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Snake sex

Rennie said:
The only 100% way to tell is the crystal pendulum method, I can't believe no-one's told him to try that :roll:

Yeah the Herp Shop never sold one of these during its April first special even though it was guaranteed 50% accurate 50% of the time :p

We are doing research trials using CT scans for hatchling Pythons. I should have some results to post early next year.

Imagine sliding 50 hatchies at a time under the scanner and sexing them all with 100% accuracy. At $600 or so bucks a scan you would have to do several at once to make it worthwile unless they are GTP's.

Ulstrasound works pretty good to.

look up it's skirt if it slap's ya it's a female and if it deck's ya its a male lol

Sdaji wrote:-
Depending on the species, you can tell quite easily by looking at base of the tail. This is particularly easy with some elapids, but is also very easy in some adult pythons.

The following example is of a species which shows about as extreme a level of sexual dimorphism as they get. Note the longer tail on the male and bulge posterior of the vent.

Well illustrated Sdaji 8)
This is definitely the most benign(harmless) method available.
It's usually not so obvious though (as stated).
But with experience i.e. a trained eye, it's the way to go.

I'm curious too, Sdaji. What species is that?
I'm guessing Furina sp. :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back