snake with no tongue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
junglemad said:
mental note...don't post any good news or the so-called experts will be on you like a shot.

Hey i didn't know you could wright down mental notes :)

Sorry couldn't resist.

I will say that i have had snakes that will only feed on live animals, so thats what they ate, i did feed them live birds instead of rodents to aviod most of those problems.

I have also raised 2 snakes in the same enclosure being fed in the same enclosure without any problems.
I do think that JM is pushing his luck with have a much larger snake in with a very small force fed snake.
It makes no sense to me because the little guy would probably start feeding alot better if he was kept in a click clack or some other small container where he can't see out and feels safe.
To me there would be no reason at all why that snake couldn't take thawed mice and probably would be on them now if it was kept on it's own in a small enclosure.

Dug i tried the small click clack for 6 months mate, dead item tried for 2 hours a night and then thrown away, brained pinkies, dead skinks...that is why i was happy when he ate by himself after 10 months of trying.
I am sorry that it made me happy that my 'special' little boy ate on his own. In future I won't bother posting when something happens.

Oh i forgot to add, my Bredli did something interesting the other night too. It used its tail to attract prey much like i have seen Death Adders do. Not very interesting i suppose.

Man this got out of hand. No reason to feed live, who are you kidding, if a snake wont eat anything and has to be force fed why not try it. Like I said what the hell is the difference between feeding live and smakin the mouse over the head with a brick.

If you have nothing nice to say, then dont bother posting, this site is just becoming full of it, people add things to posts and say " i dont post here because of stories like this" well guess what DONT POST! None of them post anything positive so why bother piping up when you want to have a go at someone, to make yourselves feel better about your own keeping!?

Junglemad has some good news after months of trying to get his little guy feeding, rather than having it put down, he gave it a chance, and what does everyone do? Im with rascal, the amoutn of people here who just want to pick a fight or think there awesome for putting someone else down astonishes me...

Well, I had to feed our little MD guy Boof with live pinkies and velvets as he didn't eat all winter. He's not even half the size of the girl MD born in the same month. Now he'll eat defrosted or live, doesn't matter. I feed him defrosted velvet rats now, no probs. As long as they eat eh? Cheers

You have two snakes that will only take live? The jungle and now the little coastal?

Exactly, i cant believe he gives everyone some good news and the first thing people do is tell him off. if he has to start him off like that then so be it, tell me all those breeders out there how many have had to try a snake with a live pinky or fuzzy, most probably most. Maybe thats why none of thm have replies to this discussion. But yet everyone else who have a perfect record think that they are superior and carry on like primary school kids.

Grow up for gods sake.

lmao your so funny pugsly :roll:

Plus you have probably hurt everyones feelings and made them think about the kind of people they are..........normal people :roll:

People can say something about the way he is doing things, thats what forums are for.

Hey, I am rapt, that Tangles is eating, it's great news, you can't deny that. :)

i'd post a bunch of pics of snakes with their heads half missing (brains visible), ive even got one somewhere of a ball python that has been partially digesting by a boa constrictor.

but seeing as theyre all pretty gruesome i'll refrain.

sure, some people do things there own way but in my opinion there a few golden rules that you just shouldnt break. all i'll say is good husdandry is about minimising risks.

I was just thinking about this little guy the other day. Glad to hear he ate something unassisted mate. I think I'd do whatever it took to get a sick snake to eat. Anyone who wouldn't, in my mind is the irresponsible one.

I too think it's absolutely great that he's eating again! That's great news.

I feel that I have to point out that the purpose of the forum is to share information, communicate and get/give advice. If you give advice, please do it in a non-agressive manner. Remember that is are more than one way to do things, and you may not agree with the way someone else does things..... but that doesn't necessarily make them wrong.

If you get advice that you don't like, by all means disagree, but it's best to do it in a manner that simply states your point of view logically. I think the best way is to receive all the advice in a friendly manner. Take on board that which you think will help you and discard the rest. Life's too short to get uptight about what someone else has said.

There's a heap of knowledgeable people here and there are also lots of newbies. The very experienced herpers should realise that they were newbies once too and didn't really know what they were doing to start with. How many of us can say we haven't made mistakes at one time or another? Newbies should realise that they have a lot to learn and gladly listen to any advice offered. Doesn't mean you should blindly follow everything someone says...... examine the information offered and decide if it is helpful to you and put it together with other research.

The above is just my opinion, but I don't think it can hurt to follow these principles.

i too have a snake with no tongue. i have to force feed her once a week, i agree it stresses the animal out but i have no other choice as she refuses to eat by herself, i have offered her live and thawed but she isnt interested so its up to me to keep her going. I brought her from a reputable pet shop whom taught me how to feed her and wouldnt let me take her home until they were sure i had it right. As far as i can tell the story of how she lost her tongue was that someone in a different pet shop (before the one i brought her from) put a live rat in and walked away, then when the shop went under she was sold to where i got her from without them even knowing that her tongue had been bitten out, it took the new shop about a week to relise that her tongue was missing, she was offered to us for a very reduced price. I will admit it is a very dawnting task each week and i hate to see her distressed, but i refuse to let her die so force feed her it is. i think its great that your snake is eating on its own again :) congrats

junglemad said:
Plus Austherps, pick on me if you like and call me stupid, though we've never met, but don't put crap on this whole site. It is bigger than both of us...especially you

Wasnt crap good advice dont feed live and not 2 animals in same cage if you have to stun food fiets and feed seperatly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back