Snakebite Fatality Information

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

We attended a toxinology conference hosted by the AVRU today. I thought some people might be interested in some factual information regarding snakebite in Australia from a clinical perspective. All information is from 1979 - 1998. When compared together, some of the statistics don't correlate...I am guessing this is due to the specific data for that statistic wasn't able to be used so was left out.

Number of snakebite fatalities - 53 (average 2.65 per year)

Number of snakebite fatalities by state/territory -

NSW - 13 (25%)
Victoria - 7 (13%)
QLD - 21 (40%)
SA - 2 (4%)
WA - 7 (13%)
Tas - 1 (2%)
NT - 1 (2%)
ACT - 1 (2%)

Percentage of fatalities that are male - 77% women - 23%

Number of snakebite fatalities by venom immunotype (basically the monovalent antivenom that they test positive for...normally to a generic level for most immunotypes) -

Death Adder - 4 (8%)
Brown - 30 (59%)
Tiger - 14 (27%)
Taipan - 3 (6%)
Black - 0 (0%)

I found it surprising that there were no deaths from Pseuechis in 20 years. It is common knowledge that Red Bellies haven't contributed to a fatality in at least 50 years, if ever at all...but I would have assumed at least a single death from Mulga's.

Of the four Death Adder immunotype fatalities, two were in North West WA, one was deep within Arnhem Land in the NT, and one was near Sydney.

Of the three Taipan immunotype fatalities, one was on the central coast of QLD, one was in Weipa in FNQ and the other was on the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast death is highly debated and is believed by some to have been a false positive VDK reading, resulting in incorrect antivenom therapy. I haven't read a case study and don't know the history of this bite, outside of rumours though.

The 14 Tiger immunotype fatalities are almost solely confined to the South East corner of Australia, from SEQ to Melbourne. Most of these fatalities, especially the southern examples, would be from Tiger Snakes, however some of the northern ones, especially those in QLD would be attributed to Rough Scale Snakes - one of several highly venomous Australian elapids that test positive for Tiger Snake antivenom.

The 30 odd Brown Snake based fatalities are mainly confined to coastal QLD and all of NSW. Only two fatalities are registed in Victoria, one in SA and six in WA. Strangely enough, there are no deaths in the NT from Pseudonaja in this period. I do know there was a death a few years ago from a Western Brown bite in Alice Springs.

As expected, there is some consistent information about the reasons behind these fatalities. The vast majority of fatalities share these points in common -

- Drunk
- Ignored the bite
- Incorrect snake ID (thought snake that bit them was harmless)
- Pressure Immobilisation Bandage not applied
- Children unattended

After having a chat with the organiser of the conference about the circumstances resulting in these bites, he made a very good point that the patients pride would no doubt get in the way of them divulging any potentially embarrasing information with regards to what they were doing when they were bitten. He did concur though that most bites, in his opinion, are from intentional interference with the snake.

Hope you guys found this as interesting as I did. This is only the basics of the conference, it was far more in depth.

Very interesting information Jonno...thanks for posting it.

Such much false information is out there on snakes, and one of them would be that a bite from a venomous snake is always fatal, which is just not true. I knew an elderly man who was biten by a brown snake a few years ago over on one of the islands in Moreton Bay and he lived to tell the tale because he took the correct course of action and got help ASAP.

Very interesting Jonno.

Go the Qlders and Go the Browns, lol Go the drunks lol

TJ would have boosted the stats all by himself, :)

Good to see Boofy Drunk Qld males tackling a brown snake are at the highest percentage! lol
I could have told you that all along! :)
Cheers
Adam

Hey mate,

These statistics just pertain to those who have died from snakebite...if it were just based on those who are very lucky to be alive, than TJ would most definitely be at the top of the list!

It would be interesting to see the stats divided from males bitten with only male company to males with male AND female company.

Hey mate,

These statistics just pertain to those who have died from snakebite...if it were just based on those who are very lucky to be alive, than TJ would most definitely be at the top of the list!

Valid point Jonno.
Ive got no sympathy though, cowboys and vens are a statistic waiting to happen,
Add alcohol and schoolgirls to impress and you have... well the results are there arent they

Comments made about a friend with cancer are beyond my realms of compassion,
I should stop before I really rant on.... Certainly gets my back up and brings me out swinging,
Some people aren't fit to be humans let alone herpers,

Good to see guys like yourself Jonno saving face for Venomous reptiles and herps in general, educating and demonstrating, saving animals, its a pity some idiots will always see you back peddling.
Dont let it dissuade you, Knowing you Im sure it won't, ;) I remember a decade or so ago a teenager with a busted up knee (with his mum/chaffuer there) teaching me how to get a cranky coastal from a difficult perch. lol
I thought I knew it all back then! lol Cheeky young upstarts! :)
I dont think I have seen anyone progress to the levels you have, you defintiely have my respect. Means nothing to some, but very limited company for me, keep up the great work.
Cheers,
Adam.

Would have been a very interesting conference, thanks for sharing the information

Jonno
It was interesting reading. thanks for posting that Jonno - excellent work on your report feedback.
Cheers :D

We have Tigers & Browns living in the backyard. So far, I have found them to be not aggressive & pretty much ignore us, to the point of having a Brown glide over my foot while I was in one of the aviaries. He wasn't bothered by me, just went on his way, thankfully!! I have done Senior First Aid though, as has my o/h, just in case. Hopefully we will never need it....
Thanks for am interesting read Jonno. And keep up the great work. With education comes tolerance & understanding & snakes need as much of that as they can get imo.

Thanks for that Jonno, good to see the facts instead of hear say information, I like it keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back