Snakebite Fatality Information

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day guys,

Number of snakebite fatalities by venom immunotype (basically the monovalent antivenom that they test positive for...normally to a generic level for most immunotypes) -

Hi Jonno,
Does the quote above refer to giving the wrong antivenene or was the subject allergic to the antivenene????

Great info Jonno. Have you heard of a story of a drunk picking up a RBB and being bitten but his Autopsy was inconclusive due to the amount of drugs and alcohol is his body as well as venom and they couldnt be sure actually which killed him?
It seems to be an old story and ive heard it heaps, not sure where it was or maybe everyone that tells it adds there own location to it.

Interesting Jonno was any info presented on deaths due to captive snakes?

G'day guys,

Number of snakebite fatalities by venom immunotype (basically the monovalent antivenom that they test positive for...normally to a generic level for most immunotypes) -

Hi Jonno,
Does the quote above refer to giving the wrong antivenene or was the subject allergic to the antivenene????

G'day Fay,

All that it is saying is what immunotype the VDK test said the personwas positive for - either Brown, Taipan, Death Adder, Black or Tiger. The first four are genus specific antivenoms (although some Blacks can be treated with Tiger antivenom). Tiger covers all of Notechis obviously, but is also used for Tropidechis, Hoplocephalus, Cryptophis etc.

Great info Jonno. Have you heard of a story of a drunk picking up a RBB and being bitten but his Autopsy was inconclusive due to the amount of drugs and alcohol is his body as well as venom and they couldnt be sure actually which killed him?
It seems to be an old story and ive heard it heaps, not sure where it was or maybe everyone that tells it adds there own location to it.

Hey mate,

I have heard this rumour before but I'm pretty sceptical...I'm a firm believer that, especially with medical information, that if it's not documented than it's inadmisable. In saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to die from a Red Belly bite.

G'day mate,

I don't believe there have been any recorded deaths from captive elapid bites in Australia...

I have heard of a death in WA person killed by a tiger snake while cleaning out enclosure , and it was of another persons collection..............only what i was told so not 100% if true.............its very possible.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back