Snakes and Drums

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if the noise of playing my drums will upset my snakes.
They aren't in the same room, but would still be quite loud. Havn't played since
getting the snakes.
Bit of a strange question, but I'm a bit worried about upsetting them.
Thanks.

I've often worried about this. I play in a band & haven't played in house since I've had my snakes, makes it slightly difficult learning new material. Playing on a practice pad just isn't the same.

Yeh the pads just don't cut it for me either. Been 2 weeks since I've
played and gettin a bit keen.

The US Drumming legend Derek Roddy has his snake cages in his drum room and he is one of the hardest core drummers you will ever get to hear.
A local drummer and reptile keeper friend of mine contacted him in regards to the same question. Derek apparantly said that the noise ( vibrations) doesn't seem to faze them and he is of course a very successfull BHP breeder.
Derek is an APS member here by the way. If you are right into drumming , check out Derek Roddys U-Tube videos. He is an absolute beast.

Here you go , a link to his snake and drum room
‪Derek Roddy / Serpents Rise "The Invasive Swahngie"‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited:
Not into his music at all but his foot speed is absolutely incredible, a very talented drummer.

Thanks for the info and link.
I've watched a few of Derek's clips, he's pretty awsome.
Daney Carey is also one of my fav's.
Cheers.

DANNY CAREY!! :D

....lol sorry, but hes by far my favourite. the dude is like a mathematician or something. smart cookie

If you can feel it in the next room, if you have wooden floors it will upset the snakes, some might get used to it, after a while, but i think a drum kit in the room next to animals that pick up vibrations is not a good idea.

Snakes can't actually hear, they feel the vibrations through their bodies.

are they completly deaf? im studying audio engineering so i often need to have music on a decent level, in the same room as my spotted. if its just loudish music through speakers will they be very affected?

Recent studies have shown they are not deaf and can differentiate between various levels of bass fairly consistently
Exactly how they do this is not understood in full yet
A very interesting thing is slightly off topic
But if they only 'hear' through vibrations reacting on their bodies, how do they catch bats on moonless nights outside caves
Studies into that are showing that perhaps the high pitched echo location of the bats can also be heard and very very quickly translated into 'food' bat 'location' strike
Those studies are throwing everything upside down as far as snakes 'hearing' is concerned as some are far too adept at it for it to be just a fluke and there is no way a bats wing beat or echo location squeak could be considered as bass by any stretch of the imagination
EG there was a big amethystine at Paronella Park Qld that rarely missed and that is very rare for that type of snake which is famous as being an erratic striker

My snakes aren't in the room next to my drum room. There is a room between my drum room and where my snakes are kept, but I do have wooden floors. I had a quick 20 minute bash on the weekend and they both fed ok afterwards. New bub arrives next month so I won't be playing for a while anyway. Thanks everyone for the advice.

If you can feel it in the next room, if you have wooden floors it will upset the snakes, some might get used to it, after a while, but i think a drum kit in the room next to animals that pick up vibrations is not a good idea.

Mine are in my drum room and have no change in behaviour at all. they move around a bit when I play, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back