- snakes die only after sunset;

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mckellar007

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

was on my local council website and it had that written down under a list of common misconceptions about snakes.

i nearly wet myself!!

what amazes me the most is some people believe it!!

lol! I heard one where if you cut a snake in half, it won't kill it. Later you will have two snakes as one end will grow it's tail back and the tail end will grow it's head back.
I almost cried laughing. And another one where snakes sting you with their tail.

Hey earthling, would that be the same freind guy who had that tame house python that got confiscated off him when the vet realised that it was planning to eat him? If it is, I heard he bred pythons and elapids together, and has venemous baby pythons at his place.

That's an old myth. If you run a snake over with a car or even chop it into pieces, it keeps writhing around (even the pieces keep moving for quite a while, often well over an hour, even if they've been skinned and gutted). People thought that snakes had some amazing ability to stay alive, or that the pieces were still alive and could spawn new parts. Presumably this is what a few people thought when they whacked or cut up snakes and then left them, and the myth was born. Some other people probably tried to check it out and kept hacked up snake bodies, saw that they were writhing, but then the next morning they were still, and figured they'd just assume that whatever they guessed was fact (as is human nature for some reason I still can't understand). It might have been a bit different, but I'm sure that these myths came from peoples' observations of dead snakes' bodies continuing to move around for long periods of time after death.

Was trying to scam some day old chicks off a lad at work today, when he found out what i wanted them for he told me that he neva goes into the bush without sunnies on case snakes will spray him with venom!!! After i refrained from headbutting him i tried to convince him that they dont spray venom but he said he saw one do it when he was a kid. No wonder so many people thing the shot gun or shovel is the best way to move a snake.

On Monday I was up working in the Daintree one of the guys I work with stated the old "The only good snake is a dead snake". This after seeing a green tree snake slithering down the pathway. I had to chase him in order to stop him killing the poor thing. Later that evening though he saw another, I wasn't able to stop him.

Uneducated fools.

It is amazing how many misconceptions are out there. I remember the bloke who owned the farm next to ours used to shoot tigers every year and hang them on the fence. He used to tell us it scared the other snakes away.

LOL

Hey earthling, would that be the same freind guy who had that tame house python that got confiscated off him when the vet realised that it was planning to eat him? If it is, I heard he bred pythons and elapids together, and has venemous baby pythons at his place.
You know him!
One day I'm going to grow up and be a True Aussie Legend too!

Was trying to scam some day old chicks off a lad at work today, when he found out what i wanted them for he told me that he neva goes into the bush without sunnies on case snakes will spray him with venom!!! After i refrained from headbutting him i tried to convince him that they dont spray venom but he said he saw one do it when he was a kid. No wonder so many people thing the shot gun or shovel is the best way to move a snake.

there are snakes that can spit venom dude, spitting cobra for one..

Doing shows we often get told the story of the snake sizing up its owner....we actually had two people tell us the same story one after the other and swear that it was their brothers friend. We have been told also that snakes will not cross hemp rope.....there is even one guy telling people that lavender oil will keep snakes away!

He said it was caught in chicken/ bird wire tryin to got into chook pen, and couldnt get away it could only spray venom.

Heres some other crackers i've heard over the years

Snakes are attracted to country music
Urine around your fence line will stop snakes entering (requires large bladder for best effect)
A brown snake can keep up with a 250cc motorbike in 3rd gear
Horse hair rope will break a snakes back if it crawls over it
Not only milk but red wine also attracts snakes
Death adders have a sting in their tail
Snake repellent works

on the same site there was also the myth...

snakes tounges are poisonous

my uncles friend many years ago shot snakes on his farm. that was until he shot a brown. hung it over the fence. came back with his mate a day later and picked it up. bit him on the arm and he ended up in hospital. it wasnt still alive, it was just the nerves reacting to the picking up. but you can see why some people think they can keep living after being killed

The kids were watching "Totally Wild" after school today and there was a little bit on reptiles where they told how fierce Eastern Browns are and said you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of a female protecting her eggs!!! Poor kids don't have a chance at the truth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back