Snakes on fraser island?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linus

Reaction score
Hi,

can anyone tell me what sort of snakes they have on Fraser island please?

plenty of common adders, a few taipans and the usuall southeast qld mixed bag.

Yes, I've seen plenty of Adders and browns there also. Just shake your sleeping bag out each night ;) hehehe

Head into Central Station. There are loads of pretty relaxed Laceys who'll come down out of the trees and try and take your lunch :) ...and watch out for the dingoes who also tend to hang around the place.

Cheers,
Luke

seen Rbbs as well.
lots of lizard species and several turtles species

I had a person contact me recently who used to work on Fraser Island and stated that my Chocolat Mackies looked like the ones from Fraser Island and he wanted to know if mine grew as large as the ones they get there ...... ?

"a few taipans"

Taipans - really? That would be close to the southest they get wouldn't it?

YIKES... I'm thinkin of going there 4wdriving and camping next year so all this info is great thanke..:)

Linus said:
"a few taipans"

Taipans - really? That would be close to the southest they get wouldn't it?
Not at all, they can be found as far south as the very northern reaches of NSW

I love Fraser Island, nothing should ever deter anybody from going there! The place is magic, and camping there brings out the brilliance of the Island even more! I used to camp ages ago in undesignated areas, I think it has all changed in the last 10yrs and there are now strictly designated campsites? It won't make any difference regardless, I hope you have a ball there! :D Shame I now live so far away! :(

Plenty of carpets, stacks of laceys......bit hard to look at all that when your wadding the flats with a fly rod and big golden trevally tails waving to you :)

Even better when it's a bright sunny dan, glassy calm, knee deep in bath warm water. You drop a fly a few feet in front of them and the tail goes down, the shadow races the fly, the line bounces, the rod buckles and 300 metres of backing disapear in a few seconds and your penn international or felty screaming under the pressure and the half an hour later you release 20lb of gold to fight again another day..........magic place Fraser. :D oh the memories :)

You've all painted some nice pictures there!

I'm not certain of going yet but have 4 or 5 spare days in early January and will be kicking around up north so thought that Fraser would be a nice option. Sounds like it would be from what you all say. Was there once when I was 16 but it just pssed rain the whole time and we got swamped in our tent. Would be nice to see it properly this time. Would love to see a coastal taipan in the wild (from a distance anyway).

Gabrielle and I actually got married on the beach at Lake Mackenzie many years ago. We've been going there for years and love it so much. I also proposed while eating at one of the restaurants in Kingfisher Bay resort. Romantic huh!

Also heaps of Keelbacks, and don't forget the turtles- Lots of Emydura nigra (Fraser Island short necks) and Broad-shelled turtles.

Regards,

Craig
Expansa1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back