Snakes to be banned in all Qld Suburbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
whatever we do just need to make sure that they actually read them not just get rid of them and think we are just "freaks with snakes" as they would probably label.

I'm all for snail mail and phone myself...always gets the point across.

this is of national concern. Conservative laws like this tend to spread.
We need support from all of Australin herp community. It is no good to say it dosent affect me.

Once a precedent is set then it is much easier for other councils around the country to push for laws such as this.

The members of Rodent clubs need to be made aware as well.

yeh....everyone has forgotten Rodent clubs....they are affected too by this.

Its just getting bigger and bigger.

jungle python is right it needs everyone from around australia to write letters or whatever it takes. if the qld council pulls this off then it will probably create a domino effect and n.s.w would probably be next. think places like victoria who can have snakes in pet stores would be harder to get rid of, but if the focus is on QLD then all states need too and should try to stop it spreading.

think writing is better then phoning, as a phone calls have no records and can be dismissed, writing is always taken in to consideration more....

someone from up north needs to plan some sort of action, and i'm sure the other states will do what they can if needed....

if you have great numbers in snakes would there be some sort of buy back scheme? like with the gun lobby?

good luck QLD ppls

I just posted my first email to her, thanks for the website Fuscus.
I shall be phoning her tomorrow.
I wish I could visit their council meeting on Friday.

I have proffesionally invited today tonight to do a reptile awareness story about how reptiles are our pets just as cats and dogs are to their owners. And also i have addressed the issue with the certain Councellor Crichlow.
I'll keep everyone posted on how they respond.
I also mentioned how the laws in question will affect the nation of herpers if they are passed.

Cheers, Alan.

Teamsherman said:
I have proffesionally invited today tonight to do a reptile awareness story about how reptiles are our pets just as cats and dogs are to their owners. And also i have addressed the issue with the certain Councellor Crichlow.
I'll keep everyone posted on how they respond.
I also mentioned how the laws in question will affect the nation of herpers if they are passed.

Cheers, Alan.

Good Idea but it won't work. She gets fixated on an idea and won't let it go. I remember the talk of using cannon nets to catch and kill ibis that fed at the gold coast tip. It wasn't well thought out, this would have greatly increased the food supply for rats. Fortunatly this murderous plan was overrulled by the state government.

But what I don't get is that all the 'complaints' this proposed legislation is based on, appear to be to do with mice or rats (not snakes).

Furthermore, if we limit dogs and cats and therefore have to limit snakes and mice and rats, what about goldfish? Will they limit them? "People don't want goldfish living next door to them" doesn't have the same ring, but if our pursuits don't affect our neighbors then why should they care WHAT we do next door?

if they do this then will we still have to be licenced as they are putting them in the same category as dogs and we dont need one for them maybe council will put some new charges up so that we have to pay them for the privilage of having them probably 50 bucks each like dogs ......

Perhaps, rather than further aggravating Councillor Crichlow with television stories and pre-emptive attacks on council, people should ask when and how the draft law will be advertised, and when and how the public can comment on it.

If angry hobbyists descend on her, either by email, phone, writing or in person, council will only be inclined to further think of snake owners as 'crazy freaks'. Rally to the cause, for sure, but just do it properly, without malice, in a calm manner, and in the correct manner, i.e., in response to the draft law. I know everyone's hearts are definitely in the right place...just don't put more fuel on the fire.

It's always the same with councils, they don't know what they are talking about and lets ban all this snake activity. Yes council...... this is really going to help you understand how these animals live and what their use is to this enviroment. Ohhh sorry I forgot lets flatten 300 hectares to build some houses and reduce these animals even more........ after all snakes are a pain in the butt.......Ohh your rodent problem.....maybe have a look into their natural predators it might solve your problem.........My case rests....

All that is needed is to find the contact details of this Councilor and Council and write the about a thousand letters from each of us. e d i t e d, How can they govern that when there are still wild snakes out there? All this type of thing will do is promote more people keeping illegal animals. Stupid Mole

Please watch the language folk. You may be right, but say it nicely eh? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back