So , Do any NSW pet stores have Herps for sale yet ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
really??? breeders don't allow people to see breeding animals in person for quarantine issues

Yes really. I run a tight quarantine program and I have no issues with people seeing parents if need be, they just can't hold them.

Yes really. I run a tight quarantine program and I have no issues with people seeing parents if need be, they just can't hold them.

I know of breeders that dont even allow purchasers to come to their homes, due to security reasons. Theif is also sometime to cautious of especially if you have species worth a bit of money.

Rick

Last edited:
Originally Posted by lizardwhisperer

and the breeder will be more interested in helping if you need help.
That is not always true.
We at Extreme Pets are Breeders as well as shop owners so we see both sides of this story, I think it comes down to what you do , We offer Free advise, after hours number for advice, we use the products we sell in our store.
This is the dirrence between a shop that cares about animals and a shop that is there just to make a buck.
There is not a day that goes by when we get a call from someone who has brought an animal from a breeder ( dog, cat , reptile etc) and they can't get in contact with the breeder or the breeder doesn't want anything to do with them, so stop bagging pet shops cause there is a lot of dodgy breeders as well as dodgy shops. We encourage people to research there chosen animal before you decide to purchase and make sure you are aware of all the needs this animal will need before you buy.
No we dont let people come to our house for animals as this is a security issue for us, as people know where we are 7 days a week.

I think some people are forgetting that in order for a petshop to get a license to sell reptiles they need to have 2 years experience keeping them. We all know that doesn't count for real experience, however it does mean that your average petshop who sell pink collars and kitties in the mall won't be bothering. We're looking at stores who are likely to have a strong reptile focus and background, and it gives inexperienced keepers someone they can turn to for advise. Most reptile stores should want repeat business, cause people coming back for their bigger enclosures and their weekly feeds should be worth more than the actual animal. This means they should be prepared to offer advise if an animal isn't accepting food, for example.

I know the only reason I go to my local petshop is that I've built something of a relationship with them. If I buy in bulk they give me a good price. They sometimes give me a discount just cause. Even if they don't, I know I can go back for warranty resolution. I don't mind that my money pays their wages.

lol at you people all scared of reptile shops... it may come as a surprise but most people owning a reptile shop are people like you and me. reptile enthusiest's.

come to Adelaide and see gully reptile centa or Reptile city.. both breed, sell and give amazing follow up service.. yes you may pay a few more bucks but you also get the benefits of buying from a registered shop..
then your average pet store will also sell beardies, this gives young kids a chance to sell their beardies they have bred.

This is a good thing. :)

TELL ME ABOUT IT.
I paid $75 for a 15x14cm heat mat, then found the same one on ebay for $16.

Well, there's 2 sides to every issue. I bought a reptile heating product (a sponsored brand name on this forum) from Ebay simply becos it was cheaper than my local petshop. The product proved faulty so I requested a replacement. The replacement was faulty as well.I complained to the actual company & got no response, now the seller refuses to refund me but has given me credit, providing I use it on products of the same brand. Suffice to say, I no longer trust that brand & can't use the credit on anything else.

Well, there's 2 sides to every issue. I bought a reptile heating product (a sponsored brand name on this forum) from Ebay simply becos it was cheaper than my local petshop. The product proved faulty so I requested a replacement. The replacement was faulty as well.I complained to the actual company & got no response, now the seller refuses to refund me but has given me credit, providing I use it on products of the same brand. Suffice to say, I no longer trust that brand & can't use the credit on anything else.
The heat mat is terrible too. It's only 5 watts and I'm not entirely sure it heats up very well. I'll definitely be buying a different one soon.

I cant wait for all the new hobby members, the extra money going into the industry is going to improve things for all of us!

I cant wait for all the new hobby members, the extra money going into the industry is going to improve things for all of us!

Unless you're being sarcastic...more money into ANY industry usually justifies a niche in the market to jack up prices & keep them inflated for supply & demand.

Unless you're being sarcastic...more money into ANY industry usually justifies a niche in the market to jack up prices & keep them inflated for supply & demand.

I was more referring to the potential increase in the amount of different products and services which may become available, also the more reptiles being sold will hopefully make it more viable for people to continue breeding the less popular species.

I was more referring to the potential increase in the amount of different products and services which may become available, also the more reptiles being sold will hopefully make it more viable for people to continue breeding the less popular species.

If you do a "reptile supplies" search on Ebay, you'll already notice the amount of products available, mainly ones that are cheaply made & unreliable. And what different services are you expecting to become available that isn't around now? Lastly if a product or a species is less popular, why would there be a market for them?

Nothing stopping people that keep reptiles from bringing nasties such as mites into your collection regardless of them holding your animals.

.. both breed, sell and give amazing follow up service.. yes you may pay a few more bucks but you also get the benefits of buying from a registered shop..

A lot of breeders do that as well so what really are the benefits from buying from a petshop? Quarantine is an issue when buying from a shop as they usually have a lot of animals coming through from various sources.

The heat mat is terrible too. It's only 5 watts and I'm not entirely sure it heats up very well. I'll definitely be buying a different one soon.

A 5 watt heat mat would work ok in a room that was warm to start with.It is only terrible if you are expecting it to supply more heat than it is capable of.To work out a suitable sized heat mat think of 1 watt being 1 degree.

If you do a "reptile supplies" search on Ebay, you'll already notice the amount of products available, mainly ones that are cheaply made & unreliable. And what different services are you expecting to become available that isn't around now? Lastly if a product or a species is less popular, why would there be a market for them?

The more people in the hobby will increase the market for the less popular species.

Also look at the different services that are available overseas due to the sheer amount of keepers, for example reptile insurance and dedicated reptile courier services.

Also look at the different services that are available overseas due to the sheer amount of keepers, for example reptile insurance and dedicated reptile courier services.

Yes, but you're implying that all of a sudden NSW will make that difference...whereas other states have been selling reptiles for over 20 years now & still neither insurance or courier services are available.

Now having stated the above, I know there is pet insurance offered at vets these days but I don't know if they cover reptiles as yet. And as far as reptile couriers, I was able to get turtles couriered from a pet shop in Melb. straight to my door (Sydney) about 12 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Yes, but you're implying that all of a sudden NSW will make that difference...whereas other states have been selling reptiles for over 20 years now & still neither insurance or courier services are available.

Now having stated the above, I know there is pet insurance offered at vets these days but I don't know if they cover reptiles as yet. And as far as reptile couriers, I was able to get turtles couriered from a pet shop in Melb. straight to my door (Sydney) about 12 yrs ago.

I am not meaning to imply that these things will happen overnight, just that the change most likely will help things improve, after all NSW is the most populated state in the country.
Reptile insurance as far as I know does not yet exist in this country.
I know full well we have couriers that will ship reptiles, I use them often, what I was saying is other countries have couriers that specialize in reptiles - something we do not have.

I am not going to bother discussing this with you further as we have obviously both made up our minds on the subject, I wish you all the best :)

Last edited:
i'd seen herps at kellyville shop, an albino and a normal/het darwin in the same cage, some ants, beardies and bluies

I am not going to bother discussing this with you further as we have obviously both made up our minds on the subject, I wish you all the best :)

No, it is I that gets the last word in & wishes YOU all the best. :p

my mate said warrawong pet shop have heaps of snakes and turtles for sale? Has anyone been in there? I won't be able to have a look till next weekend

Hunter pets in thornton is still waiting for there license but should be there soon

I've only been out to the shop out Narellan way. Their Reptile Room was very impressive, I imagine the other big players would have comparable setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back