So, I have a lost reptile in my possession...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow it is too... Although now that I think about it, it may have been because I was considering a cat3 as I am also interested in a python sometime down the track, hence the reason I had a higher sum in mind. That is certainly a pleasant surprise! :D

Naedezhda,

I can assure you that DEC would not allow you to keep the bluetongue under any circumstances what-so-ever. The reason is quite simple. It would be writing a blank cheque - people could go out and collect what they want from the wild and then say “look what I rescued”. They will, and have, euthanized animals before they will let that happen.

Like Echiopsis says, the chance of it being a pet compared to a wild animal is absolutely minimal. Western Blueys are more habitat specific than Bobtails and this likely the reason you have not seen them.

Just for the sake of illustrating a point, let’s say you rang DEC about a lost pet in the area. The owner has to report it as lost. They may be holding off with the intention of collecting a wild specimen to replace it.

Whilst you are not on DEC’s radar, the likelihood of being done or illegal keeping is fairly small. It usually occurs as a result of someone directly informing DEC. Irrespective, they system exists to allow people to legally keep. One would be very foolish not to make use of it.

Blue

Hes gone now - Hopefully Ill see him around sometime, he was quite the character! But boy is it a weight of my shoulders, hahaha! Thankyou for all your help everyone :D

Thanks for the replies :D

And what about the vet if he gets sick? Would it be possible to have 2, a legal and him, then bring him in under the guise hes the legal one? (Gah, I really shouldnt put this out on the internet, but I seriously dont know what to do...)

re the vet, ive never been asked for a license when taking my critters in,.....the first time i rang i asked if i needed to bring my license,...they said no,....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back