So it finally happened lol..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justin91

Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago I converted a corner tv cabinet into a snake enclosure. My reptiles seem to like it (so I thought) until the other day I went to show my mate my snake. Couldn't find him, lifted up his hide, not there, lifted up the astro turf where he sometimes gets under, not there. By this stage I was like omfg. Ripped everything out, couldn't find him, the lil bugga had escaped. I chucked a mouse on a heat matt in the middle of the room and closed the door and sealed the room up. Next morning, mouse was still there. I was starting get a bit worried now. Long story short, I found him that night. Big relief. I couldn't figure out how he got out, I looked at every tiny detail. I put it down to a must of just left the perspex open a fraction when I had him out the day before. I made sure it was shut this time. Went to check on him this morning and wouldn't ya know, his gone again...... Thats twice in 3 days his escaped.

I think I have figured out where his getting out. There is a tiny gap between the perspex. Like, a tiny gap. I got a lock on the way but I stuffed up the measurements and I don't think any lock will fit it now.

How can I close the couple mm gap between the perspex?

I'm gonna set up his old enclosure, until I fix this one.

Hopefully tonight when its dark he comes out again.

Perspex flexes. You be surprised and the gaps they can get through or into.

That's the downside of using Perspex sliding doors, too much flex in the gap. Try some clear plastic tubing, squash it between the sheets, so it helps to close off the gap, removing any drafts that the snake is picking up on.

That adhesive foam stuff maybe. Don't know what it's called, comes in a roll in various sizes. I've seen at good old bunnings. Put a strip of that on one of the doors but make sure it's dense enough to prevent them from squeezing through.

Did you make a full perspex door on the front of the cabinet? I was going to do that with my corner TV cabinet (see photos on my profile) but decided not the risk the flex factor. My partner and I made a timber surround for the perspex and this stiffened the whole thing up nicely. It also made it a lot easier to attach hinges and locks to the door.

You can buy a brush strip from most hardware stores that has a sucky side, I think I was in the window section when I bought some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back