Some herp pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The snoozing Lacy is sooooo cute! This pic will aid me in my quest to convince the girlfriend that I'm not crazy for wanting monitors. ST you're a champ! Good work on the lacy pic.

munkee said:
The snoozing Lacy is sooooo cute! This pic will aid me in my quest to convince the girlfriend that I'm not crazy for wanting monitors. ST you're a champ! Good work on the lacy pic.

I should point out that immediately after the pic was taken the Lacy woke and raced over to me with incredible speed, expecting food :shock: .

munkee said:

I should point out that immediately after the pic was taken the Lacy woke and raced over to me with incredible speed, expecting food :shock: .

I can see the Water Dragon, it's head is popping out from behind the log not far from the blotchy.

lol, I'm shocked that a lace monitor would be so food oriented! They are such delicate and gentle creatures........

On a serious note they aren't the handling type of pet are they? I know some species calm down but the bigger ones must be a hand full. Any advice for a future keeper? Easy to care for etc....

Dead easy to care for munkee, but no not really the handling type. Mine can be handled in the morning before they heat up, but their claws are sharp so i wear gloves. Some keepers clip Lacey claws and when mine are full grown adults i'll do the same. Large adults seem to be very lazy and can be worked around within their enclosure without problems unless they're very hungry (so dont go in with a steak tied around your neck :D ).

Mine have never tried biting me or whipping me with their tail, they just scratch when held or puff up and hiss when i'm trying to catch one, but this seems to be bluff more than anything else.

Definately get one though, munkee. They're awesome beasts, kings of the forest!! :) And every time i look at mine i'm reminded how lucky i am to have them. :)

What sort of feeding regime do you follow for the big monitors?
For the hatchlings I'd assume feeding daily but when do you begin to taper the feeding, I've heard feeding the large adults every three to five days or so.

My current plan is to get some ackies (or similar sized) in a year or two then a larger species a year or so after that. I want to have somewhere where I can build a large outdoor enclosure so they have a good amount of space. :)

I feed mine when i think they need it. Sometimes i'll give them a few small meals at once on a Monday and then again towards the end of the week or i'll give them one large meal that fills their gut and nothing else for a week. You can usually tell by their behaviour if they want to be fed or not. They'll let you know :)

Kool pic's Serp, like the one of the lacie, kinda looks like me at 2am satrurday mornings after a carton of jim beam and cola cans on the lounge watching RAGE ....LOL

Awwwwww! That's so cute! Does the lacy have a name? :D

have to agree that lacie looks so cool, that would be the cutest lacie pic i have seen. cant wait to get one, will be getting one next season without hesatation, bells phase of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back