Some of me spiders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well this has gone from nightmare to complete TERROR ...funnelwebs as pets ....when I used to live in the Blue mountains ...we had many encounters with the funnel webs ..very scary aggressive big bulky blackish blue creatures...and they look like they basically fold in half when they raise themselves up to bite arrrrrrrrr we had a male attacking the broom that my hubby was using to get it off our front porch it was amazing to watch but holy hell ,I wouldnt want to be on the end of that bite its fangs were bloody huge ..

I would love to get some spiders just waiting for the right one/s to come along I guess thats local so I can go have a look first. I dont wantto go to a Pet Shop as most have no idea what they are on about except for what they read out of books.
If anyone local to Ippy has any for sale and wouldnt mind me popping in for a chat let me know

Carcass, you don't need a permit or anything out of the ordinary to keep funnel webs, except for PLENTY of experience with spiders and the ability to never let your guard down around them. Not doubting you or anything, it's just they are seriously dangerous animals, never to be underestimated. You'll want to check if your local hospital (Im guessing Cairns) has the correct antivenom for funnelwebs, keeping the worlds most venomous spider warrents a bit of forward-planning :lol: (not joking about checking with the hospital though.....)

There are people around that sell them, not something you will find from the commercial operators though (I don't think, anyway).

Cracks, not really mate, they hate light.
Agreed!!! I"m not saying I"m an expert but I have had ALOT of experience with Tarantulas in my previous job. I realize a Funnel Web is a hell of alot more spider than a Tarantula but I am amazed by the power & potency of these beautiful Aussie spiders:) Unlike a HSV, I just want one!!!:D Sorry for diverting from the original topic everybody! Anyone who can help out PM me;)

Waaaa:eek:
Lol. Reminds me of "Eight Legged Freaks"
SPiders would be so interesting to keep, but defenitely aen't for me:)
Thanks for posting mate.
Ben.

Nice T's........whats the temperament like on the species youve posted here ??

keeping the worlds most venomous spider warrents a bit of forward-planning.
:shock: Errrrr.....just out of interest.... when was the funnel web classed as the worlds most venomous ?:?

There is something unholy about spiders.... Im glad that some people are able to enjoy them, and hold them.. keep them as pets... but to me, they are pure evil.... I cringe even at the photos... yet for some reason, I just had to look!

Nice animals... For you... :D

Hey all, wow lotta posts lol. Umm ill try remember what everyone asked, some of mine are active but a tarantula being active just means its out of its hole. My big crassipes which i didnt get a pic of is out all day long even when the suns out she only goes down when moulting or when i open the lid. There not that bad when it comes to venom unless you have an anaphalactic reaction or however its bloody spelt. When it comes to aggresiveness and the ability to see them it all depends on the spider, there like snakes in a way. Some will always be mental some will be more calm. Though there not an animal to handle because as calm as you think they are they will bite and it will hurt lol.

Oh and btw, love you to john hahaha and will do with the kotz.

[video=youtube;HIml7cPow0E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIml7cPow0E[/video]
holy crap! could think of better ways to break a record !!

Very nice, got seven of my own, all captive bred. Sorry, dont have any decent pics right now though I will post "em soon. Any one know what the go is with Funnel Webs, availability, price, do I need a permit????? Not fussy on species although Sydney is my preference, interested in any. Ultimate happy day would invovle getting a Northern Funnel Web!!!!!!

they are available from time to time, i catch them in the area, the species round here is actually worse than the syd funnels but alot easyer to keep. I currently only keep a nsw undescribed species, never see them altho i do love the look of the radiating web from the hole.

I have had 2 redbacks in captivity for 2 weeks now just to observe them. Very timid spider with a frenetic web which is fairly weak compared to others. This in my opinion is why they are extremely fast to pounce on their prey before they break free. i have put heaps of small insects in their enclosure such as weavils, mealworm beetles,crickets ,slaters, and the occasional moth. these redbacks feed exclusively in the web and will not go down to ground level to feed so i have to try and drive the insects up a small twig via a dim night light. i cant see their fangs and their heads as such is tiny, my book states that the males fangs cannot penetrate human skin which is interesting so i assume as with raptors that sexual dimorphism is present. I found the huntsman i had for 2 weeks far more active as not a web spinner therefore prowling for prey after dark.
Great experience though and to learn about different species, im on the look out for a sizable wolfy in the garden now....

My Brother has kept red backs for years and currently keeps two by the names of dim sim and spring roll. Apparently he finds them interesting to keep from what he tells me their favourite food is cockroaches even though they're bigger than the red backs they go crazy for them although they eat any insect. He has had dim sim for over eighteen months now and spring roll for about nine months. BTW great looking T's

nice little collection you have of creepy crawlies, i have a P.Sarina but there is no way i'd get that close and personal with her LOL

Until you see great photos of spiders (like yours trogdor) you don't realise how beautiful and unique spiders are. Although they fascinate me I don't think I would consider having any as contact pets. I am 'brain immune' enough not to let them bother me as much these days and have included a couple of photos of the huntsman spiders I have living here. :)

Last edited:
Cool Tarantulas,

Does anyone who posted have any spiderlings available? Im in Sydney and after two.

Don't want large adults as I wanna watch them grow.

PM me if you have any and what species

cheers

Jonny

Until you see great photos of spiders (like yours trogdor) you don't realise how beautiful and unique spiders are. Although they fascinate me I don't think I would consider having any as contact pets. I am 'brain immune' enough not to let them bother me as much these days and have included a couple of photos of the huntsman spiders I have living here. :)

the 3rd and 4th pics arent Huntsmen, looks very intriguing though.Appears to be sheltering in a web, any other pics of this one?

those pics are what alot of people around here call whistling spiders ,I am not a spider person but have had one of those big fellas at my house ,very bulky in the bum and big greyish colour spider..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back