Some People have NO Idea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1dragonett

Reaction score
I had a repairperson come around today to look at our fireplace, as it needs some minor repairs (well DUH, of course, why else would a repairman come over!! lol)

Anyway, he rocked up with his son/apprentice/worker - who was about 20ish I guess.

Well, I have the reptiles in the loungeroom where the fireplace is, and the son goes straight to them and starts tapping on the glass. I told him to stop and why, and he reluctantly did. Seeing an interested person, I asked if he knew anything about reptiles, and if he would like a hold. OMGoodness - I wish I had shut my mouth.

He immediently reached in and picked up my beadie with no front legs BY THE TIP OF HIS TAIL! The poor thing nearly had a freaking heartattack!! Not only did he do it SO badly, this little guy needs to be supported on his WHOLE body length as he has only his back legs for support. I snatched the poor thing away, and AGAIN had to explain why and how.

Well, this little know-all proceeds to tell me how he's had TONS of reptiles, and knows ALL about them. Then goes on and on and on about how badly my cages are set up, that my lizards are in poor condition (two are shedding at the moment and my common IS looking his age), and I SHOULD be feeding them this and that (mind you, he never even ASKED what I feed them) that the snake is overweight and should have this and that in its cage...... blah blah blah.

I let him rant on and on while his dad went up on the roof and did his thing. When he stopped for a breath (and I THINK he was contemplating opening the OTHER lizards door) I asked him how old his reptiles were. He replied that he didn't have any at the moment, but that his last beardie had been 3yrs old when it died, and that was a really good age for lizards. And I asked him how HE had HIS cages set up (the whole 'breathless useless female" thing) and he obliged me by telling me EVERYTHING he had set up.

*I really really struggled to breathe at this stage - and NOT punch him repeatedly in the head*

OMG!! I nearly cried!! I'm suprised that poor thing lived longer than 3 months!! HOW on earth it survived 3yrs is just testiment to how sturdy these poor bastards are! I won't go into too much detail - but suffice to say, WAAAAAAAY to hot, then waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cold, little to NO water, and....wait for it...... Mince meat and CAT FOOD!!!!!!!!!

I explained that my babies were nearly 6 years old and in extremely good health. That in the setups I had were actually what you SHOULD have, and explained diet to him.

His dad had gotten back inside by this stage, and listened really closely, and asked lots of really intellegent questions - so I have a feeling HE understood what I was very politely trying to tell his son. But the know-it-all son brushed off all my explainations, and basically said that i didn't know what I was talking about.

I just pray that this 'person' never ever gets another reptile. I told him as they were leaving, that unfortuantly he sounded very much like a person who likes the knowledge of an 'alternative' pet, but lacks the understanding and willingness to learn about them. I told both of them that if they ever wanted to get another reptile, to please do their research first, or call me or come here or any of the hundreds of ways to learn more!

Lets just hope that Dad can speak some sense to the little poo head!

It's abit silly you'd even let him touch them, I would've told him to stfu and fix my fireplace like a good boy.

It's abit silly you'd even let him touch them, I would've told him to stfu and fix my fireplace like a good boy.

lol you beat me to it. I Hate people coming into where my reptiles are about 2 years ago there were some movers and the idiots knocked into my glass tank and broke it =/

I don't let anyone near my reptiles, not even the other people that live at this house, if someone needed to go to where they were I'd move them the day before to somewhere they didn't need to go.

sorry but you didnt know this person from a bar of soap. dont let anyone even touch your animals. think of quarentine. you dont know if this person has been in contact with anyother animals that could be sick or what he maybe carrying on his person that could be past to your animal

haha yeah they're out there, was doin work in a house that had a good sized enclosure with a poor setup for thier GWD... but no they knew it all, mind you it was apparently a WC. it lacked lighting and heating a pis small water bowl for the size of the guy and filth scats and old sheds all over the carpet of it...
but ya, come aross some idiots out there

(dragonett- quote) I asked if he knew anything about reptiles, and if he would like a hold. OMGoodness - I wish I had shut my mouth.

He immediently reached in and picked up my beadie with no front legs BY THE TIP OF HIS TAIL! The poor thing nearly had a freaking heartattack!! Not only did he do it SO badly, this little guy needs to be supported on his WHOLE body length as he has only his back legs for support. I snatched the poor thing away, and AGAIN had to explain why and how. (quote)

she did say he just helped himself before she could act and snatched him back of him...

Iv'e recently just had a go at my house mate, cause he treated my ven room like a zoo...

(dragonett- quote) I asked if he knew anything about reptiles, and if he would like a hold. OMGoodness - I wish I had shut my mouth.

He immediently reached in and picked up my beadie with no front legs BY THE TIP OF HIS TAIL! The poor thing nearly had a freaking heartattack!! Not only did he do it SO badly, this little guy needs to be supported on his WHOLE body length as he has only his back legs for support. I snatched the poor thing away, and AGAIN had to explain why and how. (quote)

she did say he just helped himself before she could act and snatched him back of him...

lol, I was going to get him to wash his hands beforehand - as I always do. I have found that many people who dislike reptiles really understand thema bit better if holding them and seeing for themselves that they are actaully LIVING BREATHING creatures!! :) But he was a quick little bugger! I was already telling him off (so to speak) by the time he had lifted Leggy off his rock!

yeah some people have no respect when it comes to others collections...i always let mine be handled but the person would be shot if they jumped in and helped themselves with me not knowing them lol...
but there are some idiots out there for sure

I am usually willing to let people handle my babies, however they make one false move...never again!
I had one fellow come round (a mate of my ex-husband's) at a BBQ we were havin and I let him hold my spotted (he's only like a year old) and I explained to him that he's a bit snappy and if he's breathed on he'll strike out at ya.
This guy then proceeds to show it to his grandkids and held my baby about ONE INCH from their little faces!!! Who would have got the blame had my snake nipped one of these little kids in the face!! Being only tiny he wouldn't have made much of a mark but that's not really the point, what if he'd struck them in the eye...
UGH!...idiots!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back