Someone is going to explain to me NFL

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In my quest for relief from writing reports I enjoy to watch a new sport...

I've never enjoyed hyped up American sports, mainly because I never had PayTV...

However, I've recently discovered that the NFL broadcast all their games live on the internet so I can actually watch these while working away on reports etc.

Loads of fun?

Yeah... But... I just don't get some aspects of the game yet.

Firstly... What does 3rd and 10 Bal (Baltimore) 40 mean?

Is it... (let me see if I have this right) - 3rd attempt to go 10 yards from the 40 yard line?

Secondly the Ravens have (8-2-0) by their name and the Chargers have (4-6-0) can someone explain that?

Finally - the scoring... 6 for a touchdown and 1 for a 'conversion'? Is it then 3 for a field goal? But... You can get extra points for going for a second touchdown after the first?

Well, if you watch and can share your wealth of knowledge I'd be all too happy to hear...

By the way, I kind of like the 49ers - they were the first full game I watched and enjoyed, but the game ended in a draw, apparently the FIRST since 2008!

I watched a few games with an American friend on a tv that you could pause and rewind so we could keep stopping for him to explain stuff so I'll try my best.
They have 5 downs (basically tackles) to make it 10 yards from where they started so yeah 3rd and 10 means 3rd down and 10 yards to go. I kinda like that system cause it means a team can get on a roll and just slowly charge down field without being restricted in their number of tackles.
I'm pretty sure scoring is 1 for a kick conversion and 2 or 3 for a touchdown conversion so you were basically right with that too.
I haven't seen the 4-6-0 thing but it sounds like win-loss-draw stat?
I hope that helps until a seppo gets on and confirms. I'm with you, I don't like the silly over-hyped atmosphere but it's not a bad game

Well, look at you Mr Sax... You were right about the 8-2-0 it is Win/Loss/Draw... Ahhhhhhh Ravens 8 wins and 2 losses (no draws). Good spotting!

So when you make the 10 yards the count goes back to zero - right?

Yeah it resets. Their ability to know where the line is is pretty awesome too. On a tv they put that digital line but on the field all they have is the guy standing in the sideline with his stick thing but somehow they know almost exactly where they need to get to

Pauly, I've also been watching a fair few games of late which they show on free-to-air in the mornings (most weekends), and have to say, I quite enjoy it.

I'm still a bit of a noob with the rules, but Dan is right in regards to down (tackle) counts, and yes, it restarts after successfully reaching the 10 yard line. Although, I'm pretty sure I've also seen counts like "3rd and 8", which I think has something to do with being in a certain area of the field on a certain number of downs(?) - don't hold me to this though.

As for points, touchdown = 6 points, kick conversion = 1 point OR you can opt for a two-point conversion (2nd touchdown) which = 2 points, field goal = 3 points and then there's "safety" which = 2 points and are pretty rarely completed multiple times by any one team. See what the 'Safety' play is here

The only thing that annoys me though, which is basically done in almost every American game, is the fact they celebrate after every tiny run/achievement - I just can't understand it..?

Run the ball and make some yards, it's what you get paid for - I don't sing and dance whenever I answer the phone at work..? I don't think we need to see a 250+ pound beast of a man trying to do the moonwalk for running 10 yards without dropping the ball :p if you run 80% of the field, dodging diving defenders in the process, then by all means, dance your heart out, I might even join lol

The other thing that rakes me off about American games... Time Outs... YARRRRG!

How to make 4 x 15 minute quarters into 3 hours!!!

But when the action is hot, it's sure hot!

There's NFL in Aussie too? Right? Not sure if kiwiland has NFL or not... Never really seen it advertised. Well, at least it ties me over till winter when the real sports start :)

I'm still a bit of a noob with the rules, but Dan is right in regards to down (tackle) counts, and yes, it restarts after successfully reaching the 10 yard line. Although, I'm pretty sure I've also seen counts like "3rd and 8", which I think has something to do with being in a certain area of the field on a certain number of downs(?) - don't hold me to this though.

3rd and 8 means 8 yards to the line that they have to reach, Sam. So it always starts at 1st and 10 but then, theoretically should reduce every down because they should be moving forward down the field.

The other thing that rakes me off about American games... Time Outs... YARRRRG!

How to make 4 x 15 minute quarters into 3 hours!!!

But when the action is hot, it's sure hot!

Haha, so true re: timeouts, the games go on forever! But yes, when the game is in full swing and there's a lot going on, it's extremely entertaining. I love watching the quarterbacks get smashed - does this make me sadistic? :p

There's NFL in Aussie too? Right? Not sure if kiwiland has NFL or not... Never really seen it advertised. Well, at least it ties me over till winter when the real sports start :)

There are NFL leagues here in Aus, but I've never seen Aus NFL on any sport channel so not sure if it's a paid sport etc.

3rd and 8 means 8 yards to the line that they have to reach, Sam. So it always starts at 1st and 10 but then, theoretically should reduce every down because they should be moving forward down the field.

Cheers Dan, that sounds about right mate.

[video=youtube;FIfbghHdG1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIfbghHdG1s[/video]

The girl at 1:17 is smoking hot.
This is all I know.
Hope that helps.

I seriously don't think cheerleaders get enough recognition for their hard work and completely non-sexist stance on making a living...

i could never find a bigger 'LIKE' button for LFL. Angry trophy wives at their best! lol

- - - Updated - - -

[video=youtube;FIfbghHdG1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIfbghHdG1s[/video]

The girl at 1:17 is smoking hot.
This is all I know.
Hope that helps.

Where can i get one of those... "soooo huttt, want to touch the hieny!!!!" :- Adam Sandler

i still fail to understand the 'part' these bimbos play in sports games, car racing, etc

all they do is re enforce the 'stereotype' image women have fought for years to NOT be seen as, they also prove you dont have to have an IQ to be a cheerleader, just big boobs the ability to remember a few 'cheers' and some dancing

personally i would rather my daughter be remembered for her intelligence then for wearing skimpy clothing,bigger boob jobs, singing a few cheers, doing a few dance routines and being oogled at by dirty men with more then sports on their minds and these bimbos wonder why no one takes them seriously and only views them as sex objects as per the predicted responses above

you get back what you give out

i still fail to understand the 'part' these bimbos play in sports games, car racing, etc

all they do is re enforce the 'stereotype' image women have fought for years to NOT be seen as, they also prove you dont have to have an IQ to be a cheerleader, just big boobs the ability to remember a few 'cheers' and some dancing

personally i would rather my daughter be remembered for her intelligence then for wearing skimpy clothing,bigger boob jobs, singing a few cheers, doing a few dance routines and being oogled at by dirty men with more then sports on their minds and these bimbos wonder why no one takes them seriously and only views them as sex objects as per the predicted responses above

you get back what you give out

1. Men like football
2. Men like attractive women
3. It gives the men something to watch during the two hours during the game when nothing is happening.

It's all about revenue and bums on seats. Also trying to become a cheerleader for a top ranked team is very hard and competitive and these women often earn more than people with degrees etc. it's a fact of life that people prefer to look at attractive people, hence the countless magazines aimed at women filled with endless gossip and drivel but with Brad Pitt or George Clooney on the cover. Not every man who looks at a cheerleader is drooling and thinking of what he would like to do with her, so who's perpetuating a stereotype now?

Ahhhhhh... LFL was definitely not the search I should have done at school.... Luckily there's the LATAM Airlines Group SA which share prices have dropped by -0.83% - when I am pulled up in front of the board for searching inappropriate websites I can at least talk about how my share prices are tumbling.....

As for NFL... Go the Giants... That made me some money....

Also worked out that some betting sites offer $2.15 for the score to be even... Half the games that played yesterday ended with an even score... So surely some betting agencies are losing $$$ - my guess is it is rarer for a game to end with a total combined score - even.

The scoring is still a little odd and I am yet to see a team complete the 'second' touch down.

Might take some time out in my weekend to watch some more NFL :) (hopefully I can oogle some cheerleaders while thinking highly inappropriate thoughts but also considering they're earning a darn site more than me and could keep me in the way I am accustomed).

I like NRL better....more action, hotter guys and more blood thursty punches, fights and tackling!!!!! And boy can those guys run! One of my fave sports :)

Sorry, my post was no help.....I know nothing about NFL accept it stands for National Football League and the Miami Dolphins played in the movie Ace Ventura....LACES OUT! :D

All I know is they look like they were all late getting to the game.... forgot to take off thier helmits when they parked thier bikes.....
They were in such a hurry they forgot to take the coathanger out of thier jumpers......:rolleyes:

They forgot thier pants so they just spray paint some on :lol: And the ones that remembered thier pants... the pants are so tight they cant bend over to press the ball down to score a try :lol:

Add to that, they havent even read the rules.... some of those passes are 'way forward'! :shock::lol:

There is obviously no money in that game.... they cant even afford to put 2 legs on thier goal posts :facepalm:

(doing up flame proof suit) BBwwahahahahahehehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back