Someone is going to explain to me NFL

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Penalties are plentiful, and sometimes confusing. I'll try to explain the most commonly called.

Holding. Happens mostly to offensive linemen when blocking an opponent. A five yard penalty is called. So 3rd and 2 now becomes 3rd and 7.

Pass interferance. A defensive back can not touch a wide receiver after 5 yards. If contact is made its usually called. This penalty is a spot of the foul penalty. So if it happens 30yds down the field, the new line of scrimmage is where it happened.

Offsides/encroachment. This is a 5 yd penalty called on the defense. Happens when the defender tries to time the cadence of the quarterback and jump the snap.

False start. Called on the offense. Happens when a lineman or anyone on the line of scrimmage moves before the snap of the ball.

Face mask. When a player grabs another's facesheild. Often unintentional but none the less a penalty. 15 yards is the infraction.

Unsportsman like conduct. There has been quite an increase in this as player safety has become more predominant. Called when helmet to helmet contact is made or roughing the passer. 15 yd penalty and an automatic 1st down.

Those are some of the more commonly called penalties. Hope that helps.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Ratbag, you always seem to derail threads with your attempt at humor.. Please take it elsewhere or create an "I'm hilarious" thread to post your dribble.

Now, back to the topic...... The penalties confuse me every single time, to the point where I've stopped trying to figure them out!! lol I did however, know that you get penalised for pass interference and grabbing the helmet face-shield.

The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty I see quite a lot throughout the game. There aren't a lot of massive hits, but when they are, it's pretty cool to see/watch.

Ratbag, you always seem to derail threads with your attempt at humor.. Please take it elsewhere or create an "I'm hilarious" thread to post your dribble.

Or we could create THE GREAT BIG THREAD OF USELESSNESS!!!!! That's actually a good idea....

Just watched Saints v Falcons... Lots of intercepts and some silly passes... Surprised though at a 'near' touchdown - but apparently the review said 'NO'!

Penalties - I'm still a bit lost... I think somehow they make a bunch of rules up on the spot... Meh... And the make-up? And I'm not talking about the cheerleaders - why the make-up? I could google this, but...

At least you are picking up the rules on passing and touch downs, etc. Knowing "Kamericans" they probably do make the rules up as they go along, LOL!

Wait?! The players were wearing make-up??????

Last edited:
At least you are picking up the rules on passing and touch downs, etc. Knowing "Kamericans" they probably do make the rules up as they go along, LOL!

Wait?! The players were wearing make-up??????

The black eye liner... right, I'm googling this...

Oh... Cuts down glare and supposedly aids vision... Well... There ya go... Sounds like a crock to me...

Oh... Cuts down glare and supposedly aids vision... Well... There ya go... Sounds like a crock to me...

Excuses! Excuses! We all know they're just getting ready for the mardi gras....;)

Mythbusters did the 'eyeliner' myth.... on its own, the black lines do nothing.... but used in conjunction with the baseball cap with the visor, it cut down the reflected light (glare) quite noticeably..... the visor takes care of the light from above and the black line reduces the reflected light reflecting a second time off the cheek into the eye.

The myth looked a bit shakey until they added the baseball cap ;)

Lol if you are talking about the fumble, recover, touchdown that was overturned...the rule is, once a player is on the ground, if any opposing player touches in any way, forward progress is stopped.

Last nights game was an awful one for Drew Breese. He is one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL!

Lol if you are talking about the fumble, recover, touchdown that was overturned...the rule is, once a player is on the ground, if any opposing player touches in any way, forward progress is stopped.

Last nights game was an awful one for Drew Breese. He is one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL!

Yeah, that was the reason... Whistle had gone... But in rugger, that was a fair try... The ball was ripped as he was falling... Not when he was on the ground... I guess that's how I got confused.

The other thing that rakes me off about American games... Time Outs... YARRRRG!

How to make 4 x 15 minute quarters into 3 hours!!!

But when the action is hot, it's sure hot!

There's NFL in Aussie too? Right? Not sure if kiwiland has NFL or not... Never really seen it advertised. Well, at least it ties me over till winter when the real sports start :)

HAHA! Spewing Free to air doesn't air rugby union instead of league

HAHA! Spewing Free to air doesn't air rugby union instead of league

Same problem here... Yet I can access ANY NFL game, ANY NBA game 100% free and live on the net... Yet I can't access my own national sport... Well... I guess we have to pay Sir Ritchie some how!

For some reason our antenna won't let us get channel ONE!!!! That is the best channel with al the best sports and it really grinds my gears that it doen't work!!! Well it works in my brothers room but not in the lounge room...I just steal his 50" plasma for a while and watch the NRL and NBA for a while :D

I know its not the NFL. but if y'all have a chance watch the Alabama-Georgia SEC championship game. It should be one of the best this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back