Something fishy in your beer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Well...

At my place of work I get to sit next to a vegan (he's really cool for a vegan - but stuff that - no offence mr and mrs vegan people).

Anyways - it was beer o'clock and I suggested he have a beer with us and I made the comment - "It's perfectly vegan thing to do - no meat products in beer...."

Do you know how wrong I was?

Apparently they use fish gut and stuff to filter the beer - and wine as well!

I was SO SO SO SO SO unaware of this.

Anyway - I don't want to put anyone off your alcohol (I surely hope you're more hardened than this). but here's an article I read about the labelling of this use.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/5052460/brewers-fish-bladder-warnings-beer/

Not that interesting but still... I was taken back by the 'things' we don't know that go into our everyday drinks and food.

Right... it's 6:24am and I haven't had my beer on cornflakes yet... so I better go... Happy swimming insinglass - without you my beer would be unfiltered!!!

Geeez earthy... you must know it's holiday time... I can't sleep in in the holidays - i can only sleep in when it's time to go to work!

If I had work right now I'd be lucky to even have my eyes open!

It's the same with weekends... 6am no probs... weekdays I could sleep all day!

I'm going to get my daughter some of that cheese... She'll love it!!!

There had to be a reason why beer and fishing went together so well....

You would have a good time trying to match a wine to that cheese, I am thinking mmm cask wine any variety will do but you will need 4 litres....

You would have a good time trying to match a wine to that cheese, I am thinking mmm cask wine any variety will do but you will need 4 litres....

BAHAHAHA!!!

And - because the wine also contains fish gut it's also good to take fishing... You can smeer fish liver pate on your crackers topped with that yummy high jumping worms... Yumbo!

i know they use egg in wine, but fish in beer,.....eww,..!!

shouldnt vegans avoid anything with yeast in it anyway,...as far as i know yeast is a living growing thing,...

carlton is the worst for fishy beer.....

most imported sugar isnt vegan/vegetarian either as mush countries filter sugar with bone and marrow fragments

and cheese isn't even vegetarian.... and that includes soy cheese...
it contains cow stomach lining.....

Last edited:
shouldnt vegans avoid anything with yeast in it anyway,...as far as i know yeast is a living growing thing,...

Hehehehehe, i think vegans would be dead if they didnt eat things that were once living...

Last edited:
Here's another...

http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

Rennet in cheese is an enzyme from the animals stomach. Non animal rennet is also readily available though, so there is actually vegetarian cheese.

To be honest - none of that stuff grosses me out at all.. hell, I eat live green ants straight off the fence post... they're yum!

Rennet has never worried me...

The real aim of this thread was the 'unknown' thing... You know... like... would you have known that fish gut was used in making your beer in the first place... I'm suggesting many wouldn't know this.

Clearly a few would... such as vegans, but most of us would pass by every day drinking our beer and wine blissfully unaware that it has been filtered using tropical fish guts.

Now everyone knows that yogurt and cheese all have bacteria/fungi blah blah - that's old news.

Most would know yeast - a living fungal cell - was used to make beer, bread, even the pizza base you eat - that never grosses people out...

And I'd assume that drinking beer that has been filtered through fish gut wouldn't gross you out either - it's the fact that (I believe) it's a little known fact that makes it more amusing.

Well, hope that made some sense anyway.

T

And I'd assume that drinking beer that has been filtered through fish gut wouldn't gross you out either

well, it is kinda gross, but i'm still getting a case on my way home!! :p

i tried that barefoot beer last night, it has lemon and lime infused in it, it says that it is a carbon friendly beer, it also says nothing artificial, i didnt like it much, give me fish beer any day.

who in there right mind would not have said "just shut up and drink your beer, hippy "
lol

haha... coz... hate to break it to you - but fish gut isn't artificial... therefore your carbon friendly hippie beer may still be fish gut filtered!

Gives a new meaning to Carlton Cold Filtered - those poor tropical fish swimming in refridgerated beer - in one end.. filtered.. out the other.... What a life!

Here's another...

http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

Rennet in cheese is an enzyme from the animals stomach. Non animal rennet is also readily available though, so there is actually vegetarian cheese.

cheese with non animal rennet has added casein.... so is still not even vegetarian

and yeast may be 'living' but so is a carrot....
it is however not an animal.... so vegans and vegetarians eat it.

people with yeast allergies are the only people who avoid yeast

ewwwwwwwwwwww! I now feel SICK that rotting cheese...and that dead mouse wine...that putrid duck egg .......omg gimme cow ,sheep ,fish ,chicken any day ....and slimey I have eaten those ants too , not a bad taste to them at all lemon/lime drop yummo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back