Something fishy in your beer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went on a CUB tour in 1997, they were adding the fish guts that day and I very nearly threw up. I am not a squeamish person by any stretch of the imagination and I generally have a very strong stomach, but the guts were putrid. I still drink beer and the guts don't concern me :)

On a much less disgusting note, virtually all processed foods have animal material in them. Tomato sauce is full of caterpillars (they put the nice fruit without insects in the supermarket at a high price, the stuff which is full of grubs goes to the sauce factory where the grubs and fruit are homogenised and you don't notice them other than the yummy flavour and extra protein). The same goes for fruit juice, etc etc, as well as grains.Beetles and moths get into the grain silos, all of them, it's not a question of whether or not they're in there, it's a question of how much insect there is in each batch. There are laws about the proportion of insect which can be in flour etc.

When working on vineyards many years ago I was amused at how you had to be more careful about excluding certain types of insects while others were okay. Millipedes, many bugs (hemipterans), earwigs etc spoiled the flavour of the wine, while aphids, most caterpillars, spiders etc didn't affect it much (and some improved it :lol: ). "Very nice, good depth, overtones of chestnut, oak and caterpillar" :lol:

Sdaji, my husband told me the same thing when he toured a friends winery. He said that there were Redback Spiders, Earwigs, Slaters, Caterpillars....all sorts of things that end up in your wine that you wouldn't be aware of. He said that if you really knew what made it in you wouldn't drink it. But drink it we do, with gusto.

Maybe they should start including these trace elements in the ingredients list, may contain traces of nuts, seeds, insects or fish intestines.....

Beer on cornflakes you should be ashamed .
on coco pops .now your talking .yum yum .

PMSL............... thanks Sdaji....................... I USED to like tomato sauce on me cornflakes..... but there's insects in BOTH....... what's a girl to do????????

I'll NEVER look at another glass of wine the same again!!!!!!! (won't stop me drinking it though), although, spirits would probably be BETTER!!!! (higher the alcohol, the better the sterilisation!!!!) (hic!!)

OHHHHHHHHHHHH - and in the Barossa, at what used to be Basedows (now Illapara Wines), they had a barrel of sherry sitting in a wall, with perspex or glass at one end so you could see all the flora in there, AND the sludge on the bottom............. my daughter won't drink anything she thinks has come from a wooden barrel again!!!! LOL

Beer

You could filter beer through a fat rats clacker for all I care. As long as it tastes as good as it always has done then there is no issue.

As far a Vegans are concerned, well, I respect their wishes + it leaves more meat , chees and what not at BBQ's:lol:

Maybe they should start including these trace elements in the ingredients list, may contain traces of nuts, seeds, insects or fish intestines.....

I think most wine actually says "may contain traces of dairy" because they often use milk products to filter wine. They also often use animal blood to purify wine - not quite sure how they did it, but that was the tradtional method!

mmm clarity.... waste not want not, it's like horse/cow hooves in your jelly. and the nom-nom-nommy grissle in your pie ;)

just another bit to eat

there isn't "cow hooves" in jelly....
it is MADE from the bones.... key difference.

usually it is pig, unless halal/kosher

and bugs etc being in things is an inevitability, rather than a deliberate additive

Must add my opinion, vegans are 2 sandwiches, a bottle of wine and half a salad short of a picnic. They refuse to eat or use anything that comes from an animal. Why on eartyh do they do this, I assume it is to protest about use of animals in food and other things to try to save animals, am I right???

If I am, then why the $%&* do they eat all the vegetarian animals foods? Don't they see starving rabbits, cows, sheep, kangaroos etc etc on the tv?

If they really cared then they would feed what they eat to the animals they are thinking they are protecting or whatever they are doing it for.

On a much less disgusting note, virtually all processed foods have animal material in them.

Between that and the few crops that have enoguh chemicals sprayed on them to kill all the animals that live on and/or eat them, there is no food left for vegans to eat :(

Sdaji, my husband told me the same thing when he toured a friends winery. He said that there were Redback Spiders, Earwigs, Slaters, Caterpillars....all sorts of things that end up in your wine that you wouldn't be aware of. He said that if you really knew what made it in you wouldn't drink it. But drink it we do, with gusto.

Theres a 2000 vintage Grenach from the Barossa with an old bandaid and some blood in it........fine vintage blood though....... :lol: :rolleyes:

Must add my opinion, vegans are 2 sandwiches, a bottle of wine and half a salad short of a picnic. They refuse to eat or use anything that comes from an animal. Why on eartyh do they do this, I assume it is to protest about use of animals in food and other things to try to save animals, am I right???

If I am, then why the $%&* do they eat all the vegetarian animals foods? Don't they see starving rabbits, cows, sheep, kangaroos etc etc on the tv?

If they really cared then they would feed what they eat to the animals they are thinking they are protecting or whatever they are doing it for.

its amazing that people say things like this, when there is no need to eat animal products.... and no positives to eating animal products...

most of those starving cows wouldn't be starving if the whole world was vegetarian... becaus ewe wouldn't breed them in those numbers....

in my opinion, anyone who condemns vegans like that is a whole picnic short of a picnic....
why condemn someone, who chooses to be more enviromentally responsible, who distance themselves from unneccesary animal cruelty, and are healthier, and the whole time cause you no pain either....

are healthier.

I have no probs with vegos or vegans (some of my best friends... blah blah blah) but I have to disagree with you on this point! As a parent, we are told time and time again by health professionals that you can't raise a child on a vegan diet without supplements. Any diet that requires artificial supplements to remain healthy is, by definition, lacking.

I have no probs with vegos or vegans (some of my best friends... blah blah blah) but I have to disagree with you on this point! As a parent, we are told time and time again by health professionals that you can't raise a child on a vegan diet without supplements. Any diet that requires artificial supplements to remain healthy is, by definition, lacking.
I understood that all of our digestive intake can be healthy from a vegan diet.... What supplements exactly do you need for kids that a vegan diet cannot provide?

there is only one thing, ONE, lacking in a coventional vegan diet.
B12...

this however is not a problem in most australian vegans... we have vegemite.

the conventional meat eater however is lacking in most vitamins and minerals, particulally potassium...
aswell as an excess in sat and trans fats, and protien.

and the things meat is 'good' for, iron and protien... the protien in a vegan diet is more easily digested, and healthier.
and while there is less iron in vegetables, compared to meat, gram for gram.... it is more eaily absorbed from vegetables.

i am saying this AS a health care proffessional.... (in a month anyway), and one that eats meat.... coz while i eat it, i acknowledge that is is BAD for me.... because i can get everything that is good in meat elsewhere, without all the negatives

guitar stings used to made from cat skins (probably still are)
fat sausage skins are made from the lining of the pigs intestine
thin snags like the procecced garbage you get from woolies and coles are a latex based synthestic skin.
fat and bone go's into making soaps, shampoos and perfumes to name a few (think about all you vegans out there)
gelitine is extracted for jelly's and other cooking etc.

you'd be suprised how much we rely on animal by products for our every day items we take for granted.

you'd be suprised how easy it is to avoid....

and how annoying it is when the shampoo you like isn't vegan and your GF wont let you buy it :(

"there is only one thing, ONE, lacking in a coventional vegan diet.
B12..." ok so where is the usable calcium and do you think a dog needs meat products?

I have heard of vegans denying thier pets animal products and what would they feed a python, cucumbers??

I did say starving rabbits, cows, sheep ... (see post for rest and you said people with my comments were a picnic short lol.) and if you have seen any docos then you would notice in times of drought all herbivores suffer and starve, everywhere. In case you haven't seen them, they breed themselves and carnivores or omnivores help create a balance so that the vegetation can survive too.

btw potassium is in bananas and eating all day is a negative.

We were given our front teeth for tearing and we have canine teeth, they are there for a reason and this is to enable us to eat meat, if we had evolved enough to be vegetarions then we would have more molars and maybe an extra stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back