Southern Angle Headed Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adele

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 11mth old angle headed dragon keeps rubbing his snout on his enclosure. He was originally living with another male and two female angles. I took him out in the hoping the he would stop rubbing his little face but he is still doing it.

He is living in a rather large flexarium (soft mesh), by himself, he has lots of branches and plants - so he can hide away if he wants. I've recently moved him outside, which seems to have helped a little...

I'm worried that he's stressed - his snout, especially the bottom part of his mouth is red and inflammed. The redness seems to come and go depending on how much he has rubbed.

I had him in a glass fronted enclosure to start but he used to think he could jump through the glass and would almost knock himself out!

I keep lots of boyds and angles and have never experienced this problem before. Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks
Adele :)

Hello

Hello,

Have you tried putting a soft towel on the area of the mesh where he tends to do the most rubbing? Are all of his temps correct in there?
How does his snout look right now, is it looking like it may get infected from bruising?
You can put some antibiotic ointment on it to help out if it is looking raw.

Tracie

It hasn't got infected and he is not rubbing as much now, being outside seems to have helped. I'm in FNQ and it has been getting really hot here. I think he's happier outside - in the shade. He's getting early morning sun and is in shade undercover for the rest of the day. Someone recommended I try Wound Aid...

I have read that snakes tend to behave like that sometimes if they have an RI, but I don't know if it's the same for lizards. Could be a possibility??

I read a thing in one of the reptile aus mags. And it said if a dragon keeps running into the glass they but a layer of ducttape around the bottom of the tank then some bubble wrap. I think this goes on the theory that if they can see you you can't see them or something.

I had him in a glass fronted enclosure to start but he used to think he could jump through the glass and would almost knock himself out!

Mine does that all the time. i dont think it bothers him these guys are quite tough.

as for the nose rubbing do you mist his tank daily??

Yeah, I mist him at least twice daily coz it's gets pretty hot here and he likes to drink the running water from the branches. The bottom of his mouth had healed a little but when I hot home today he'd taken skin off again - might take a visit to the reptile vet and see what he reckons...Maybe I should move him back into a glass/acrylic enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back