Southern Angle Headed Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowmer

Reaction score
I Recently purchased a trio of southern angle headed dragons (Sexes unknown) and have a few questions.

But before that i'll explain how they are being housed.

They are all in a standard 2ft tank with palm peat as the substrate. There are plenty of vertical sticks for them to climb on, live palms and ferns and a couple of fake vines. There is a water dish big enough for all 3 of them to get in but not deep enough for them to completely submerge their heads.

I have UV lighting on them and take them out in the sun where ever possible. I live in Sydney however the room in which they are housed is rather cold and drops to about 7 degrees over night so i am slightly heating it to around 19-23 degrees. The UV light is on a 12 hour cycle and they are being misted every morning.

Now my questions are
How and at what age is it possible to determine the sex of them?

What is the best time of the day to feed them, Morning afternoon or night?

Anyone who has them, what fruits / vegetables do they eat, how did you get them to eat it and at what age did they start to eat them?

How often should i dust the crickets in calcium, is every 3rd feed right?

I Recently purchased a trio of southern angle headed dragons (Sexes unknown) and have a few questions.

They are all in a standard 2ft tank with palm peat as the substrate. There are plenty of vertical sticks for them to climb on, live palms and ferns and a couple of fake vines. There is a water dish big enough for all 3 of them to get in but not deep enough for them to completely submerge their heads.

I have UV lighting on them and take them out in the sun where ever possible. I live in Sydney however the room in which they are housed is rather cold and drops to about 7 degrees over night so i am slightly heating it to around 19-23 degrees. The UV light is on a 12 hour cycle and they are being misted every morning.
You don't need heat.
Now my questions are
Now, you can tell by the colour, females are more coloured than the males. That's providing you have both sexes now, otherwise you don't have a comparison there. As they get older it's even easier.
Whatever time you want, mornings always god though, as long as they get a feed!
Anyone who has them, what fruits / vegetables do they eat, how did you get them to eat it and at what age did they start to eat them?
I have never fed mine veggies.
Sounds OK

hey there I was just reading a great page on care and info last night if you type in southern angle headed dragons in the search function it's on the 1st page.

Yes i would heat, i heat mine all year round with a 32 degree basking spot

Now my questions are
Around 6 months when females gain more patten each shed and males lose pattern
Doesnt matter
They dont eat fruit,strictly carnivourous
I dust mine every feed but your idea sounds fine
they are great lizards,good luck with them

It's strange that you say strictly carnivourous blake...I've managed to get my female eating apple ;)

how did you manage to do that? i tried but failed

I generally spend alot of time(3-4hours each day) with my critters :) After persisting for around 2 weeks she finally gave in to it and hasn't looked back lol...It took a heck of a lot of patience for her to come around. All that in mind I am still waiting to get the male interested, however he's new to the family and generally once they see one eating it they all follow suit. I have also managed to get my frilly's eating fruit n veg as well......

:)im not really worried about feeding veges to them, im currently feeding the roaches, crickets, earthworms and pink mice to the gravid girl, they ahve live plants in there enclosure so the can have a nibble at them if they want(ive never seen them do so)

Thanks for your help. The only reason im offering heat is because its a cold room and they are only young. This will be the only winter they are offered heat.

I've tried a few different types of fruit over the last couple of days and none seem interested. So i think i'll stick to woodies and crickets.

At what age can i start to offer pinkie mice to them, and is it common for them to accept it or will they still prefer their insects.

Thanks again

pink mice when sub-adult to adult or when they are around 25-30cm TL, or you could cut them in half, mine still seem to prefer the insects but will take pinkys,
blake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back