Southern Marbled Velvet Gecko laid eggs.. not prepared.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Psyde

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i recently purchased a pair of marbled velvets not expecting them to breed this year as the male was much much smaller than the female and didnt look nearly old enough, But the day before yesterday when i was cleaning the enclosure i stumpled across 2 eggs buried in the substrate, I've just got a few questions if anyone could please help me..
I live in melbourne where these little guys are from so will this mean i can just leave them where shes buried them without the need to incubate? my room gets a bit warm from the dragons and pythons so i've been monitoring the temp in the last 48hrs and it hasnt dropped below 19o or risen above 20o in the particular spot she chose. Should i maybe spray the area slightly to dampen it like you would in an incubator? any other tips would also be muchly appreciated, this is the first time ive had anything thats bred and would really like a successful clutch :) Thanks in advance, Nick.

Im not too good with geckos but i think the need a temp of around 29 from what i heard

29? how do they survive in the wild? its been a pretty cold spring so far and im where these guys are pretty common :s do you think they will be alright with a 20o heat for about a week or less before i get an incubator? also there's warmer spots in the tank why would she choose a 20o spot if she could of put it closer to the heat rock or something for extra heat? if its not going to survive without an incubater in that heat then do you think its possible to put them in a warm spot of the bearded dragons tank (obviously in a container so the beardies dont crush them) and possibly incubate them in there until i have a proper incubator? thanks again sorry for the ignorance these are my first geckos and first eggs from any reptile :) and i know not to turn the eggs cheers ;)

oh you're talking about christinus marmoratus.
in winter most of the time they retreat to warmer places, like under tin which is in open woodland (where the tin can absorb that little bit of winter sun) and under bark etc... but yeah, they are a pretty cold tolerated gecko
you can seperate the males and cool them before the weather starts and then introduce them.
get pics of your setup :)

Yes... their marbled gecko and not southern "velvet" geckoes.

Oedura tyroni V Christinus marmoratus

my mistake :) not that sure with geckos

oh you're talking about christinus marmoratus.
in winter most of the time they retreat to warmer places, like under tin which is in open woodland (where the tin can absorb that little bit of winter sun) and under bark etc... but yeah, they are a pretty cold tolerated gecko
you can seperate the males and cool them before the weather starts and then introduce them.
get pics of your setup :)

setups pretty basic at the moment, will add pics when things are a bit more spruced up ;)

thanks for the help anyway guys, so the 19-20o temps are ok? any other tips? thanks, Nick.

Dark_Pside,

Did you eventually get some good advice?

He eggs of this species are brittle shelled, similar to a bird egg of similar size. They don’t absorb or lose moisture like the soft shelled eggs of most reptiles. Do not spray them. They would no doubt be fine to leave where they were deposited. However, if you are concerned they might be interfered with they can be placed on a few cm of dry sand in a takeaway food container with air holes in the top. Leave the container in your enclosure.

Apologies I did not see this thread earlier.

Blue

Thanks Blue that puts me a bit more at ease, i had been getting alot of different information all over the place.
Unfortunatly one of the eggs must of been infertile and crumbled as soon as i picked it up and had nothing inside it but the second has some weight to it and seems healthy.
Just wondering, is there a risk of the parents eating the baby? i have heard of a couple of cases of this in agressive adults but mine are quite tame.
Also when can i start expecting it to hatch? Cheers mate, Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back