Southern Spotted Velvet Gecko Information

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kate86

Reaction score
Hi,

Im getting my first gecko in a couple of months and I was wanting to know any hints or tips anyone has. If anyone has any information at all on looking after southern spotted geckos could you please send me a pm or email at [email protected]

In particular I would like to know what substrate is best. I have read that sand is good and other places say no to sand..... am a little confused.

Thanks. :D

Use sand if its an a juvenile to adult. Hatchie i wouldnt use sand if i did i would feed them in a different tub.

I have a feeding dish, would it be ok to have sand in the tank if it is a hatchie and I use the feeding dish? Or would you reccomend feeding it in another container to make sure?

Also, do you reccomend desert sand, or just normal sand?

Thanks for your help! It is really apreciated :) :)

I have kept Marbled Velvets (a similar species) on washed play sand (from bunnings).

I wouldn't worry about a feeding dish, they will hunt the crickets that you release in there.

As above sand is fine get the bags from Bunnings called double washed sand. I would just throw in a couple of crickets and let them run round and your gecko will hunt them down, however please make sure the enclosure is not too big, you dont need huge enclosures for these guys, especially a hatchie would be fine in a small kritter keeper container.

Thanks for the help guys. I got some double washed play sand from bunnings today.

Do you guys just have heat mats, or heat mats and a basking lamp? I'v read that the southern spotted is fairly hardy and its ok for temperatures to range a bit, is that true?

Do you have any other helpful hints and tips. Even if they seem obvious. I have read info on the internet and in books but its always good to get info from people who have actually had them.

Thanks again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back