spencers or goulds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myteam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
wat monitor would you guys recommend and why
and im a right in sayin these monitors grow pretty similar in length?

A Gouldii can get nearly as long as a Spencer's but the Spencer's monitor is considerably larger in bulk and I believe has a shorter tail.

wat wud u reccommend as an overall better monitor to keep tho jbowers :)
and thanks for tht info

I don't have either, so I can't say. Im keen to hear what others say. I started a thread just like this not long ago.

yeh im lookin at gettin a monitor
jst need some peoples inputs to help me come to a conlcusion on which monitor i get tho aha

Both are great monitors. But my personal preference is spencers.
If it is your first monitor you are probably best going with an acki or gillens as they are fairly hardy compared to others.
But don't buy an animal that you don't like as monitors especially are around with you for a long time.

im interested in this as thread also as my partner would like to get a pair this time next year.

what kind of other animals can be saflly kept with something like ackii's, as she wants to build an outdoor avery style enclosure with a 6ftx3ftx2ft deep pond on the middle or off to one side.

have access to unlimited guppys mollies so no biggy if they get eaten but she has some large turtles she wants in the pond would she be better off keeping them seperate or ok together???

id much rather a larger monitor compared to a smaller
and jst outa curiousity how big must an enclousure be for a fully grown sandy or spencer
and sorry loonytoon wudnt have a clue youll have to wait for another opionon aha

id much rather a larger monitor compared to a smaller
and jst outa curiousity how big must an enclousure be for a fully grown sandy or spencer
and sorry loonytoon wudnt have a clue youll have to wait for another opionon aha

I know exactly what you mean, although i did want to start with a Pygmy Mulga but couldn't find any. I would go for the Sand Monitor as they are big, not too viscous lol and are active big lizards, they are also easier to find and they are R1, unless you have a R2 you wouldn't be able to get a Spencer...

im interested in this as thread also as my partner would like to get a pair this time next year.

what kind of other animals can be saflly kept with something like ackii's, as she wants to build an outdoor avery style enclosure with a 6ftx3ftx2ft deep pond on the middle or off to one side.

have access to unlimited guppys mollies so no biggy if they get eaten but she has some large turtles she wants in the pond would she be better off keeping them seperate or ok together???

Im sure large Long Necks would be fine with Ackies....if anyone objects let me know. Im feeling for those Guppies though :( lol

thanks jinin :)
do u have any sandys of ur own , or any monitors really
and wud 8 feet x 4 x 3 be ok
and can u house them in wooden encloures , jst tht ive seen alot of ppl havin them in glass tanks

Thats mine in my Avatar hes a Sandy. that enclosure size doesn't sound too bad. Anything under 13,500cm2 is illegal to be keeping an Adult Sand Monitor in. I would say that your tank could possibly end up being too small however saying that i know of a few people keeping them in enclosures that big and the lizard doesn't seem to mind, as 8ftx4ftx3ft is quite large.

Wooden enclosures, yes. They also dont mind to have a bit of a climb. I think that size of enclosure would suffice, if he seems to be out growing it put him in a pit outside, when i move to Port Macquarie, i am buying an aviary for my guy, i have a pit ready for him but i havn't put him in yet... hes still not that big. He is in a 5x2x2 at the moment, but once he outgrows that he will go outside in his 2x2m pit. The aviaries can be purchased from Bunnings for i think it was $180 roughly and it was big enough 2x1.8x2m i think.. It may even work out cheaper than buying all the necessary equipment and wood for the enclosure. I would recommend bringing him inside during winter though.

They love to dig too so that is probably why they are kept in tanks not enclosure because of the sliding doors... They need sand i would say at least 30cm deep when an adult. You could rig a wooden enclosure up so that it has perspex at the front as a viewing window and a hinged lid at the top for feeding and service. I have a Care Sheet if you want it. PM me your email and i will attach it in an email. As that covers all of what i have said + more to do with feeding and general care.

Hope this helps mate.

Go with floor space for Sand monitors, the height isn't necessary... I have NEVER seen mine climb ANYTHING other than up some slate onto his basking spot.

thanks heaps jinin ill pm u my email
muchly appreciated
wud u also be able to attach some pics of ur enclousre if possilble

spencers being class 2 are probably not available for you.
sandies are truckloads of fun to watch, they are always doing something.
i keep 4 together. so there is never a dull moment.

ackies are fantastic small monitors.
but i wouldn't be housing them outside with turtles, thier environments are totaly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back