Sphagnum moss. can i use it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i went around town today looking for peat moss but was un able to fina any so bought a bag of sphagnum moss instead, can anybody please tell me if this is suitable for the bottom of my green tree frogs enclosure before i put it in?
thankyou :)

both peat and sphagnum moss is great for frogs.. with the peat moss look for coir peat.. it comes in a brick form from bunnings and make sure you get the one with out fertilizers the packaging has like a blue and red colour scheme .. i like to use both because the peat coir is great for the plants and the sphagnum moss looks great... ohh and make sure to wash the sphagnum moss as well :) :) :)

Frogs

Do not use peat moss your frogs will die sphagnum moss is ok.

Frogs

Peat moss is for plants not for frogs it will stick to the frog and kill it i have keep frogs for over 20 years and have over 100 frogs at home.

Peat moss comes from a decomposed sphagnum moss, the coir peat brick are actually shaved coconuts husks. Its better to use the peat bricks as they are a renewable source and hold moisture better.

Do you have any evidence regarding peat moss killing frogs topfrog? I wouldn't think something sticking to a frog would kill it?

Frogs

Sphagnum moss is a moss that grows in the rivers along the banks if the frog eats it it is ok for the frog peat moss is not moss it is coconuts husks in a brick . The frog sits in the water the coconuts husks will be in the water to the water will go brown and it will kill the frog it is **** .people use peat moss do not you go and sit in honey and see if you like it.

well i have used the peat coir bricks for all of my substrates for all of my frogs and they have been doing fine for the past year and i have no problems with it

i have coco peat as a base for planting my plants into then i have a top coat of spag moss .... i rather it looks better .... easy to collect up when cleaning out the tank

I would recommend against the use of spagnum moss.
I used to use it but I won't on any circumstance now.
I have had a number of frogs die from impaling their tongues on the branch or firmer section of the spagnum moss.
Their tongues swelled up over a matter of minutes & they choked to death.
I only use coir peat now & have had absolutely no problems with it.
You must make sure that there is no additives in it such as fertilisers, water crystals, etc.

Sphagnum moss is a moss that grows in the rivers along the banks if the frog eats it it is ok for the frog peat moss is not moss it is coconuts husks in a brick . The frog sits in the water the coconuts husks will be in the water to the water will go brown and it will kill the frog it is **** .people use peat moss do not you go and sit in honey and see if you like it.

Actually you are talking about peat coir bricks, not peat moss.Peat coir bricks are shaved coconut husks. Peat moss is sphagnum moss that is decomposed:)

Good link Jason :D What is the name of the peat bricks im talking about? The ones made from shaved coconut husks? I just call them peat coir bricks and im now thinking that this could confuse people that im talking about peat moss.

Personally I found it easier to keep frogs in a "sanitised micro climate" without adding any or much (other than some select pieces of timber) natural decaying substrates. Frogs require a high amount of cleaning as it, and don't need added vectors for bacteria problems. I did used to keep a more balanced natural frog tank once, with live plants ect.. though it was in a large fish tank with an underground filtration system and required only minimal cleaning. Other than outdoor type frog enclosures, this would be the only way I kept frogs again, as it was really impressive to look at, I had live tree ferns and a water fall ect... fantastic! for both me and the frogs... Saying that though, GTF's do very well being kept in a "dry" tank, with just a water bowl to sit in, as they natural occupy (in very large numbers) some very dry areas of Australia.

mmmmm ok, so should i take the moss out and just leave them with there little water bowl? i thought they needed humidity so thats why i thought the moss would be good?
ps - i haven seen them eat yet but they have both changed colour to a light green

GTFs change colour because of mood and health. They are masters of finding any water within their surroundings, a water bowl in a 2-4 foot enclosure is a no brainer for them. GTF's are also pigs, if you have one that doesn't eat, bury it in the garden as it will be dead.

GTFs change colour because of mood and health. They are masters of finding any water within their surroundings, a water bowl in a 2-4 foot enclosure is a no brainer for them. GTF's are also pigs, if you have one that doesn't eat, bury it in the garden as it will be dead.

LOL i might give him another day or two before i do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back