Sphagnum moss. can i use it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use peat moss with most of my frogs and have not had a problem. I do put large reptile bark on top of it as it can be messy. It means less cleaning as long as you dont keep it soggy. You will need to be careful feeding though as frog can eat the bark when chasing food. If you feed with tweezers you wont have a problem. I have 11 frog tanks and tried a few different setups and found this one with peat moss and reptile bark the easiest.:)

On the occasions I've kept frogs and had sphagnum moss in the enclosure, I've noticed they can accidentally grab big mouthfuls of sphagnum when snapping at insects. Mostly they can spit it out, but sometimes they can't and have to swallow it - not a good thing especially for smaller animals.

As has been explained, true peat (moss) is decomposed sphagnum, and is usually thousands of years old - it is mined in Germany, Ireland and other places with colder climates. It is very fibrous and has a strong acidifying effect, hence its use for acid loving plants such as azaleas. Coir peat comes from coconut husks and is high in tannins, but I suspect it is less acidic than true peat.

There is a form of peat harvested from swamps in WA which is almost a powder (I'm guessing it is even older than that mined in Europe hence more decomposed) - this would be one to avoid, it's primary purpose is as a soil additive for gardens.

Jamie.

I have been using coir peat (coconut fibre) and herpabed bark by vetafarm (course) in all my frog enclosures and have had no problems. I just dont let it get too wet. The enclosures that have heat mats under them provide a great environment for crickets to lay eggs. Some of my enclosures have had hundreds of crickets hatching in the coconut fibre. The coco fibre absorbs all the smell from the frogs and the bark stops the coco fibre from getting all over the frogs. Just be careful when feeding as they can accidentally swallow bark. Every few months I change the coco fibre and wash the bark and bake it in the sun and then reuse it. Be careful not to buy coco fibre with fertiliser in it.

Yeah I use the coco peat (with no fertilizer) in my frog tank, and use large flat river pebbles over the top. I find I have no smell, and also the pebbles hold a lot of the peat down and it doesn't get on the frogs much at all. Just take out the pebbles and wash and replace the peat. and we're ready to go again.

Some sphagnum moss (Brunnings, Searles brands, not the NZ stuff) will actually grow when exposed to sunlight and plenty of moisture. It looks fantastic, it's soft and harmless to frogs. Rather than in Bunnings, look for this moss in nurseries where they keep their stock outside in daylight. Look for green shoots inside the bags - that will grow within few days.

I have used sphagnum and peat moss before for frogs with no problems.
It is important, I believe, to have a base layer of gravel with the moss placed on top for drainage, as it tends to get sodden with high humidity. I then firmly press down on the moss so that it forms a firm layer so the frogs don't just mess it all up. Then I'd place a few large, flat rocks covering much of this moss as it provides a solid spot where the frogs can sit and be fed without a mouthful of loose moss, and reduces the amount of contact they have with it.
When I was a kid I used potting soil for frogs, and the morning after the viv was set up, they had died on top of it. Never use potting soil, just incase.

Some sphagnum moss (Brunnings, Searles brands, not the NZ stuff) will actually grow when exposed to sunlight and plenty of moisture. It looks fantastic, it's soft and harmless to frogs. Rather than in Bunnings, look for this moss in nurseries where they keep their stock outside in daylight. Look for green shoots inside the bags - that will grow within few days.

True, when i got my moss was from a nursery as i had previously bought from an "unnamed" store and was pretty.. cr@p.. so yeh nursery and in sun worked for me also

wow! thankyou everyone for the help :)

Hi all, I'm a little behind in joining this conversation, but I'm planning a terrarium with Southern Angle Headed Dragons - I was going to use Sphagnum muss and put in a few live Venus Fly Traps for effect? Could there be any dangers in this? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back