spotted feeding problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

houdini101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
just recently acquired a 18 month old spotted python and the owner had told me that he hasnt fed him for 5 weeks
and said to me to give him a week to settle in and feed him one of the rats he gave me

so i waited a week and have let the rat defrost in the sun then put the snake into a plastic bin and dangled the rat in front of him
he struck the rat and latched onto it a couple of times and i let the rat go but he never digested it then he struck it abit more and wasnt interested after that so i through the rat out and put him back in his enclosure any ideas what going on

Did you warm the rat?....Sometimes mine are not interested unless the rat is warmed up - not just defrosted as their feeding response is partly driven by their heat receptors telling them it is a live rodent (ie - food) from the body warmth of the rodent.

Did you try to 'excite' the snake a little by wiggling and moving the rat? I have a Diamond Intergrade that will often drop his food if just given to him....but if I tease him a little first and get him in the mood he usually eats it instead of just playing with it.

Given it is an Antaresia is it possible that it has gone off its food for winter? .....Many Antaresia are known for this.

Have you contacted the person you got it off for any more specific advice? He/she may know more about that particular snakes feeding habits that we will.

yes i have talked to him and hes just said to me just leave it for another week
the snake doesnt look like hes waisting away

i didnt warm it up tho as he said just let it defrost in the sun so i will try that

just recently acquired a 18 month old spotted python and the owner had told me that he hasnt fed him for 5 weeks
and said to me to give him a week to settle in and feed him one of the rats he gave me

so i waited a week and have let the rat defrost in the sun then put the snake into a plastic bin and dangled the rat in front of him
he struck the rat and latched onto it a couple of times and i let the rat go but he never digested it then he struck it abit more and wasnt interested after that so i through the rat out and put him back in his enclosure any ideas what going on

If you've only had it a week and his still trying to settle in and not feeding, then I think the point in red could be the reason for the non feeding. Feed it in the enclosure while it's settiling in mate, you may have better success rather than adding stress by taking him out for feeding.

When warming the rat, just place it into some warm water, i personally put mine into ziplock plastic bags and run the water over the top and let them sit for an hour before feeding. Don't microwave the rat at all, this causes hotspots which can be harmful to your snake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back