Spotted Python addicted to his hide,

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am a new spotty owner and have a couple of questions.

My spotty is rarely active in his enclosure, even at night and likes to stick to his hide. he is fine when handled but in his enclosure is almost coma like. is this an issue?

I live in Brisbane and the temperatures even inside drop to about 16 or 17 at night... is that to cold and should i worry about getting another infra-red bulb for night or not bother?

Cheers. :lol:

He is just acting like a snake. Snakes like to be in small tight dark spaces, it makes them feel comfortable. Being only new he might still not be used to his new enclosure, when he is ready and feels safe in the enclosure he will come out.
Cheers Cameron

One of the worst display snakes. If you want something more visual get a carpet.

Hahaha Snowman agreed, you should see him today i might post some pictures, he is sulking behind is hide at the very back corner of the enclosure. Eventually i think i'll get something a bit more showy, (jungle or carpet) but I can't fit something that size at the moment.

It's a bummer too because my spotty has such a lovely nature, most passive snake i've ever handled, period.

mines out quite abit im picking up a second spotted hatchie next week and ive been told this ones pretty active but not a active as my current

mines out quite abit im picking up a second spotted hatchie next week and ive been told this ones pretty active but not a active as my current

mine is really active at night, but that's also usually when i'm asleep, during the day he literally never leaves his hide.

hey im new to this but also have a stimmy :p ha i seen this post and had to comment. my spotty is one of the many that likes to mainly hide in his hide and want to never come out. i do see him every now and again explore but have found that its when hes a little hungry and wants afew pinkys. i do love him and he's great to handler, however sometimes whilst going to pick him up he strikes and to be quite honest it scares the hell out of me and makes me very hesistant to grab him/she (isnt sexed yet) i havent been bitten yet but somewhat want to so i can get over the fear of thinking its gonna hurt lol. is there anyone who's been bitten and can tell me that everything is going to be ok like a little boy lol???.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey im new to this but also have a stimmy :p ha i seen this post and had to comment. my spotty is one of the many that likes to mainly hide in his hide and want to never come out. i do see him every now and again explore but have found that its when hes a little hungry and wants afew pinkys. i do love him and he's great to handler, however sometimes whilst going to pick him up he strikes and to be quite honest it scares the hell out of me and makes me very hesistant to grab him/she (isnt sexed yet) i havent been bitten yet but somewhat want to so i can get over the fear of thinking its gonna hurt lol. is there anyone who's been bitten and can tell me that everything is going to be ok like a little boy lol???.

When you have a snake with a head the size of your fist you worry about bites.

You wont even feel a bite from a baby stimmi, even a feeding bite is a tickle

Last edited by a moderator:
Same with mine, but I didn't buy him to show him off so it certainly isn't an issue.

a paper cut would hurt more, if he doesn't let go though it could get tedious.... just run some water over his head and he should let go...

My spotty is literally the most docile snake i've ever seen... he's a big wuss

Mine goes through phases of getting out and exploring. Temps seem to have a lot to do with it, the recent cold snap had her sulking in hide for days (even with some extra heat). Have only had the one tag in nearly two years and that was when she decided she was still hungry after a feed.

Brad26,
When I first got my intergrade when I put my hand into his enclosure, it was like putting it into a blender with fangs.
Now my snake just assumes the strike pose and climbs up my arm,and to date have only been nipped once, so stick with the handling on a regular basis and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back