Spotted Python shedding???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koula

Reaction score
This is probably gunna be a bunch of dumb questions, but as a total n00b to herp keeping, and only knowing a little about what the books and sites I've been to say, here goes:

I have a young Spotted Python (my first snake), I've only had him for 18 days, and he's eaten twice so far, but on monday he ignored his food.

Monday morning: Thawed out fuzzy mouse offered but ignored.
Monday afternoon: Noticed his markings were rather dull looking and his eyes had a very faint barely noticaeble opaqueness to them.

Tuesday morning: Colours still dull, eyes looking noticably opaqued but not totally milky looking.
Tuesday night: Decided to leave him alone for a while.

Wednesday night, just 5 minutes ago: Eyes nice and bright, colors not dull. NO SIGN of shed skin anywhere in tank.

Were my eyes playing tricks on me? Did he shed or not? Do snakes sometimes eat their sheds? This seems very strange for his eyes/colours to go dull, and then magically bounce back to normal in so short a time?

Give him time. sloughing is a reasonably long process when you witness it for the first time. he'll shed the old skin within the next couple of days. Just make sure he's got access to water, as dehydration and lack of humidity can cause shedding problems. Even then there are easy fixes for that if he has a bad slough, or sloughs in pieces.
Cheers Rossco.

dont worry dude thats all pretty normal behaveour for a python be for it sheds man.

yer thats normal, he should eat after it sheds and if it doesn't its probly just your temps

Lookin' snazzy!

YAY! Loki shed his skin this morning. :D

loki_shedskin1_July2005.JPG

loki02.jpg

RE: Lookin

let us no when it has a feed. it should be right now

RE: Lookin

Actually, when's the best time to offer a feed after a shedding? Last time he ate was last monday (4th of July). I usually feed him a thawed out fuzzy mouse every monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back