Spotted Shedding? Yeah? No?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MChaz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

You all seem like a helpful bunch, so I have a question.
January this year (Don't remember the exact date, very early in the month though), I bought a spotted python and haven't had a single drama with him(her maybe?) in any way, shape or form. Eats well, is active, inquisitive and all round very cool snake. My problem is that in the three months or so that I've had it, it has only shed once. The time it did shed I had no problems at all.

Hasn't shed since then and doesn't look like its to shed anytime soon.
Should I be worried?
It's also pretty young so I thought it would be prone to shedding more. And yes it has definitely grown since last shed.
Whats going on ya reckon?

Cheers
Mel :)

It will come down to how much you are feeding and what feeding intervals you are using,
Our hatchies/juvies slough every 5-6 weeks on average.

Yep, if you're feeding the right sized food once a week your juvenile spotted should be shedding *about* once every month to month and a half.

Try upping the size of your food items.

Edit: Also, what approximate age is the spotted?

@chantelle - yeah I've been thinking about upping the food size; I can hardly see a lump but everyone else thinks they still can. hmm..
@beeman - not sure to be quite honest but couldnt be more than perhaps 4 1/2 months? I dont know thats just a guesstimation

At that age it should be on velvet/small fuzzy mice, You can always bring your feed interval back to 4 days and feed 2 pinks for a few months and then up the size

I was thinking that the other week so I actually bought some velvet fuzzies last week, (and it ate its last pinkie today), so I'll just start it on the fuzzies this weekend. So you think its definitely about the food size that might be delaying its slough?

Yes! If its growing body isnt getting enough it will slow the process and thus your slough interval will be longer.

Ok cheers for that, I just wasn't sure cos he(she) is definitely getting bigger, but I will start it on the fuzzies and hopefully the shedding will follow :)

i have the same proplem when i got dug (south western carpet python 3months old) some of his bro and sis where in pre shed after two weeks i rang the breeded and he told me that all my snakes bro and sis have shed last week and my snake took two pinkies today so his not in pre shed when would one start two stress about not shedding or is it nothing to warrie about sorry to put this hear but i could not work out how to start my own and dident find much in the other threds

any one any help with my question or how to make my own post

Last edited:
i have the same proplem when i got dug (south western carpet python 3months old) some of his bro and sis where in pre shed after two weeks i rang the breeded and he told me that all my snakes bro and sis have shed last week and my snake took two pinkies today so his not in pre shed when would one start two stress about not shedding or is it nothing to warrie about sorry to put this hear but i could not work out how to start my own and dident find much in the other threds

any one any help with my question or how to make my own post

How long have you had 'Dug'? Might be a couple weeks yet not all sibling snakes shed at the same time. :)

@brook, thats fine, on the home page there is a link saying 'start new thread', click that and it will give you the option to start your own thread :) but its fine to post on here, im not too bothered :)
Yeah i couldn't find much either, which is why i started this thread.
@beeman, cheers again, fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back