Squeaking snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anvil

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Odd question: I have an 18month old Murray Darling carpet python who over the last 8 months has developed a habit of squeaking. It appears to be the result of him/her blowing air out its nose. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Also on a side note; I was told that this snake will grow to around 7.5 feet fully grown. He/she is 2 in march and is already 198cm. Given their growing period is this large for its age?

Last edited:
Ok, with the squeaking issue first, OPMV (Ophidian Paramyxovirus) is an extremely serious medical issue, and to me this sounds like a described symptom (abnormalities breathing), i advise you see a herp vet ASAP.

and secondly, to have a 198cm MD is incredible....theyre supposed to grow 5 foot usually, i have a feeling you might not have a MD, i advise you post a pic of him/her for an identification check.

yours truly,

BenReyn

loose nasal scale causes an audible noise ,have a close look in the nostril and watch when snake breathes,if there is a loose scale you can usually dislodge it,or get a vet to do it.

a respiratory infection symptoms are similar,get it looked at RI can easily kill a snake

sounds big for a MD but thats ok not all snakes grow at same rate

Ok, with the squeaking issue first, OPMV (Ophidian Paramyxovirus) is an extremely serious medical issue, and to me this sounds like a described symptom (abnormalities breathing), i advise you see a herp vet ASAP.

and secondly, to have a 198cm MD is incredible....theyre supposed to grow 5 foot usually, i have a feeling you might not have a MD, i advise you post a pic of him/her for an identification check.

yours truly,

BenReyn

Geesus, soon gravid pythons laying belly up will have OPMV, actually my snakes hiding, it's being anti social is it an EMO or does it have OPMV. Is it even a snake? :| . Obviously you don't know much about OPMV as your advising a vet for posible treatments i supose... The vet can't do anything, theres no test taht can be done to confirm OPMV untill after the snake has passed (unless very recently thats changed). There are signs of course but a wheezing/squeaking sound is hardly somthing to go on. I'm sorry but i'm sick of people like you who think you know everything, If a books released spacifically on OPMV pm me so i can buy you a copy or somthing. God!

Skaarf ot up buddy. MD's 5 foot? Average? What a joke, If you can find me 5 ADULT MD's that are 5 foot i'll pay you for your efforts. If you wanted a picture all you had to do was ask, not make up some lame excuse.

On the other hand i too think 2m is on the larger size for a 2 year old MD but i certainly don't belive it's unheard of.
I guess you feed it good :p Pending on the look of the snake i'd probly slow it's feeding down, if it's not visibly over weight and moves around it's take often it shuold be fine. It's when your over feeding and the snakes not getting exersise and getting fat you should worry.

Just keep your eye on it and look for bubbles/mucus around the nose and mouth.. also watch for canker (speeling?) as this can sometimes present itself with an RI or so i've heard. Try to keep your snake quarantined just to be on the safe side.
But if its bothering you a trip to the vet might be worthwhile for peace of mind.

Maybe it think's that it's a mouse?
I would go with a loose scale in the nose.

I would think loose scale or somthing similar. This is fairly common with large morelia and have seen it in a fair few healthy snakes. If their are any other simptoms which may lead you to thinking it could be a resiratory infection then you should get a vet to check it over but at this stage I wouldnt worry.

Thanks Guys,

For those who want a pic, thats him on my avatar at about 8 months. As for the loose scale, would that come out in a shed, because he been doing it for quite sometime (ie multiple sheds)

There aren't any other symptoms, not mucus or discoloration, hes very active. I think I may take a trip to the vet just to put my mind at rest.

As for not being an MD, i personally doubt it (although could be wrong) he was purchased as a hatchling from a breeder (one of 8) so you'd think they would have got the breed right. But I think it may be time to slow the food down as eventually hes going to stop growing and just get fat.

Thanks again guys, will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back