Step in right direcion! :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

That_Guy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Well!!!
today i was in car with mother! and the conversation turned to Reptiles :oops: duno how :) hehe
but she's finally seeing the point that i really want a snake! :p:p
and she's actaully considering it now! :D which is amazing!
i pointed out to her why the fact that she wants me to get beardies (pogona minor minor) would be more of a problem coz id have to breed crickets and stuff aswell and she sorta saw fora minute how a snake would be better! :D
she's still on about what would happen if i went away :(
but hey! its a step closer to the light at the end!!
anyone else got any ideas to persuade her?! :D
anything suitable would help! and not just "get lizards first to crack her into shape!" thanks!
YAY!! :D:D:D

When you say she is concerned about you going away, are you talking a weekend or a couple of months? Cuz as long as the heating is on a thermostat and there's plenty of fresh water available, your snake should be ok unsupervised for a few days..

Just don't mention keeping rats in the freezer ;-)

let her know you can go away for like 10 days. and say "I love you, Mummy" lots of times.

Short periods ( a week or two ) without food pose no real problems for pythons, as long as they are in good health and had been feeding regularly previously, for all intensive purposes, I actually believe that most captive pythons are over-fed so these sort of periods off food are actually good in my opinion.

haha good to hear, well done :D
So the only problem you have is what to do when you go away? If so
You could feed your snake up nice and full for a few weeks before you go away and it would be fine for 2 or 3 weeks.... probably even longer, depending on its age.

Oh i forgot about fresh water, and cleaning.... that wont work :oops: . Thats a bit of a tricky one.... unless you can get your mum handling the snake so she feels comfortable cleaning its cage and feeding, or get a friend who can come around and clean and feed for you..... i dunno mate...
Good luck tho

Bill.

just keep pestering her about it, eventualy she will see how much you want one and hopefuly let you get one

Haha yeh!
ive got the bro...but not sure how much he'd like it!! :p
yeh having just graduated year 12 (going through exams now :( ) mums concerned that if i get a snake early next year when we return from family holiday that if i decide to do a contiki tour or something for approx. a monthor what not sometime next year or in future year or two whilst at uni then she doesnt know what will happen with my new friend :(

A snake can go a month without food but no fresh water, maybe wait until after your holiday would be best

Tell her a snake is much more suited for going away than any beardie, beardies will make more mess and require more feeding.

Haha shh Pimp! :)
i like to show the various expressions my face is making :p haha
yeh i went over the whole "snakes are better then beardies" thing today with her...and she sorta seemed to get it!!
i think its like my tattoo! as soon as i tell her im definetly going to do it some day then she has to get used to the idea! :p

my dad came around to the idea, that im going to get a snake after my HSC by talking to some random reptile keeper at a herp show i dragged him to, turns out that he kept a fair few vens etc, and they were talking for like an hour just about snakes. then dad was like.... alright you can get a snake. He's still repulsed by them but ill convert him yet :D

LOL weve al been through this with our parents,wait till you get the whole set of things parents love

1 motorbike

2 snakes

3 piercings

4 tattoos

parents live to hate these sh#t

Maybe take your Mom to a reptile park :)
Let her go and handle a snake, or at least have a look.
Once they get over the OMG IT'S A SNAKE thing and realise they're really interesting, it's much easier to convince them.

Man, I must be such a cool mum, I already bought my son a motorbike and snake without him asking..
The tats and Peircing..That I am not going to let happen anytime soon, (then again he is only 13).

As others have said, a week or so away is not a problem (I'd recommend a nice absorbent substrate, however...), but if you plan to go away for longer, you need a good herp person to snake-sit. Otherwise, put off getting the snake because it's not fair to the animal to get it and then leave. Do you have any herp societies nearby? Find out and join. You will meet other folks keeping herps and maybe be able to get a snake fix by handling their animals. You might also get lucky and make friends with someone who could snake sit for you. We've got a good deal with some friends. We take care of their spiny leaf insects when they go away and they can take care of our snakes if we are away for a long time. The insects actually take more time to care for than the snakes, but their droppings don't stink as much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back