still not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spudfish

Not so new Member
Reaction score
help me guys im worried last weekend it had a shed and still not eating hot spot is 30
cool spot about 25-26 it hasent eating in 3 and a half weeks i got every thing good no signs of stress nothing do i have to force feed

what is it and how old? u dont need to force feed after 3 weeks...

looks like there isn't enough difference between the hot and cold end to me......
the recommendations seem to average at a minimum of 10c difference and you are no where near it.

if you cant' get the hot end to 33 without the cool end around 23, then you may need to rethink the setup you have, or a larger tank. ! !

the snake is 4 months old. about 50cm long sorry about high cool end temps my mistake. I put the thermometer in the wrong spot. its about 24-25 now. sorry for the spelling :lol:
if you warm the rat pinky's, it looks at them, tastes but doesn't eat it

Last edited by a moderator:
was it cooler for a while? was it feeding ok before? has it taken rat pinkies before?
sometimes an ainimal will on ly take mice or only take rats. they have to be very warm before offering them, and completely defrosted- ie not cold in the middle. leave it for a few days then try again. dont handle the animal, or disturb it as it will take time to settle and then might be more likely to feed. dont panic. it will feed, and can last a lot longer than 3-4 weeks.did it come with a feeding card so you can see what it was doing before? does it look like it will shed soon? ie dull or smokey looking? this will put it off for a while too. might be more than one factor .

no it shed on the weekend the first day i had it and it fed on a rat pinky. I've got mice as well but it doesn't eat them. a few days ago i got a red light because the one i had before wasn't hot enough. it was one of the fan 50 watt ones. the one i have now is 150 watts

hi yer the tank size is 90 by 30 plenty of hide spots in there the size of the snake is 50cm its 4 months i think he might be due for a shed becuse the breeder said there due for one like i said its werid because on the first day i had it home it ate and the food is pinki rats

the above quote is from your other thread 2 weeks ago, .... its a 90 x 30 tank and you were getting a 30c hot spot, if you had put something like a branch / rock you could hav eprobably given the python better access to warmer temp, but you have now put in a 150W ! ! I have never run anything more than a 60w in a 90cm tank...

you are now saying that you have a temp of 24-25c.... i'm guessing that is the cool end ? if you still have 30c at the hot end its still not enough of a difference in temp, and the 150w globe isn't going to help that in the slightest, in fact its likely to do the opposite,

and i've just realised where this thread is heading, so i'm walking away, and will await your next thread " why did my snake die"

[deleted] i ask for help and you insult me.. the 150 watt is better than the 50 watt i had. I've got the thermostat set on 30 degrees. nothing wrong with it

she is saying instead of getting a 150w and possibly cooking the snake u could have got a 50w globe and put a higher branch closer to the globe so the snake can get warmer than 30*c and if your cool end is only 25*c then thats only a 5*c diffrence not the recomended 10*c diffrence, in my enclosure my temps are between 22*c cool end to 32*c warm end with plenty of branches for the snake to get closer to the heat to warm more if needed and a cool end as well

you also might want to get a temp probe as alot of the time thermostat settings are out .... dont call people names here when they are trying to help you also its winter some snakes just wont eat during winter .... i'd get a temp probe check all the temps again ....

Seriously spudfish, take a breath mate.
Incorrect temps are often the cause of a python not eating as is stress.
People with a fair bit of experience are trying to help you using the (small amount) of information you have given them.
Calling people names will only get you an infraction, and make people less inclined to offer help.
150watt does sound a bit like overkill in the size enclosure you have, in my opinion, and what Jax suggested, does sound worth trying - with the 50 watt lamp AND assuming it has a cage on it?
Double check the temps you are getting then. And don't handle your snake while you are sorting this all out.

yeah just went and got myself another thermometer. the new one reads 22 cool side 30 hot side. sorry for the names i just had a dodgy thermometer and have a new one now

The trouble with globes is that they have to heat the air on the way to the snake and so are inefficient when copared with heatmatts. If you use a 150 watt globe and the thermostat breaks you will cook your snake!

That animal came out of a 10L tub and you were told that your enclosure is too big. Its sad that a snake that was once the best feeder in the clutch is obviously being neglected.
Leave it alone (as in dont go anywhere near it) for a week and try again. If it doesnt feed get it into an appropriate sized enclosure like i told you to do or you'll end up with $400 worth of dead snake.

It amazes me that people ignore the advice given and then get on the internet and claim to be worried.

That animal came out of a 10L tub and you were told that your enclosure is too big. Its sad that a snake that was once the best feeder in the clutch is obviously being neglected.
Leave it alone (as in dont go anywhere near it) for a week and try again. If it doesnt feed get it into an appropriate sized enclosure like i told you to do or you'll end up with $400 worth of dead snake.

It amazes me that people ignore the advice given and then get on the internet and claim to be worried.
+1

what size tank should i put it in then? i am worried about it ok. it ate the the first day in the big tank so i dont get it? i already tried putting it in a smaller tank it just tried to escape all the time

i already tried putting it in a smaller
tank it just tried escape all the time

That's just what they do!!!
All my adult snakes, no matter how big they and their enclosures are, will poke around the edges looking to escape. They're animals of a low inteligence, they escape because they can. It doesn't matter how great their environment is, they will try get out!
Put it in a 10 - 15 litre tub, 33 degrees in the hot end, big water bowl in the cool end (20 - 24 degrees) and plenty of places to hide from you.
Don't go near it for at least 7 - 10 days.
offer food.
If no hit, then leave it for another 7 days.
If the snake is a good feeder it will eat again.
you just need to eliminate the stress and let it be.

8-10L, you can get a tub called a 'mighty tough' that are about that size from bunnings for $15-20. Newspaper substrate, heat cord/ mat hooked up to a thermostat set at 32-33 degrees at the warm end. Stick a small hide at the warm end just big enough for the snake to wedge into and leave it alone for a WEEK. Alone means don't look at it, touch it, handle it, try to feed it etc. You now have to hope that it hasn't cooled itself being in such a large enclosure and will actually resume feeding before the weather warms up.

but its not stressed

Your on your own, better not to breed snakes than deal with this every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back