Stimmie acting weird

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErisKSC

Reaction score
My female stimsons has been submerged in her water dish since 8:30 this morning, she hasn't eaten for a little over 2 weeks and she hasn't shown any interest in food while i've had her (received on 24/6).

we were told she was due for a shed, though no loss of colour or clouding of eyes is obvious. This is the second time shs done this only last time she was out after an hour or 2, it's been 5 now.

Any help, Any ideas?

I have a childrens that sits in his water bowl for days sometimes. Had him for about a year and he's done this since I got him. Doesn't have mites or anything. I think some snakes just like water. How old is it? I have adult pythons that don't eat for 3-4 weeks before they shed. They stop eating long before there are obvious signs of going into shed.

That can be a sign of mites. Generally they will soak themselves to drown the mites that are on them, however this does not cure the problem because if it is mites they will be all through the cage. First thing to chek for are small pinhead size red/ brown spots, which are the mites, either on the snake or ones that have dropped off in the water bowl.

Haven't seen any mites, by pinhead size, i assume 1-2mm across?
She's only 8 months old and they'd probaly stick out like dogs balls!

Bob2, would a juvenile go 3-4 weeks? If so, i'm alot calmer now, it's hard for me, coz i don't know what behaivour to expect yet, so i freak out at everything! I need to get used to the timeframes for things like eating --> crapping, Stopping feeding --> shed, i don't know if that makes sense, like i said i'm a bit of an anxitey freak and i don't want to hurt my snake.

Thanks Troopas

rub sum sticky tape down on a section of your snake... preferably white tape so you can see black mites when u pull it off mites are bloody tiny so hard to see with naked eye unless its a super bad infestation

My juvis generally eat even after their eyes have gone cloudy but having said that, I have 2 that haven't eaten for 4 weeks after a shed at the moment. I'd say just keep offering food every 5 days or so and see how it goes. Don't start worrying just yet. It may just be having a hard time settling in. Keep an eye out for mites. Hopefully you'll get some more advise from more expeienced keepers.

You have to get used to the timeframes for your own snake. Nobody can tell you what times it will go between wanting to feed, shedding, crapping etc. because every snake is different.

For instance my Stimsons will feed after showing the signs of coming into shed and has even fed a day before it does shed. I have never seen mine soaking in the water, but others do.

Every one will be slightly different.

One of my stimsons spends most of it's time in the water bowl - just likes water.

As for not eating.............wouldn't start to worry until it stops for a few months.

Haven't seen any mites, by pinhead size, i assume 1-2mm across?
She's only 8 months old and they'd probaly stick out like dogs balls!

Mites are really tiny so, unless you have an extremely tiny dog they won't :)

Bob2, would a juvenile go 3-4 weeks?

I've had hatchies go for a couple of months before feeding so I wouldn't worry about a juvie going a few weeks, unless it is losing condition.

If so, i'm alot calmer now, it's hard for me, coz i don't know what behaivour to expect yet, so i freak out at everything!

Nothing wrong with that mate! It is always better to err on the side of caution.

I need to get used to the timeframes for things like eating --> crapping, Stopping feeding --> shed, i don't know if that makes sense,

It makes perfect sense to me :) Don't worry too much about it, you will find as you become more experienced that it really does become like second nature :)

like i said i'm a bit of an anxitey freak and i don't want to hurt my snake.

Nothing wrong with that mate, it's admirable in a newbie :) Good onya for checking up on this :)

I have something similar happening st the moment and the snake definitely has no mites and ate a good meal a few days ago but has spent most of her time in the water bowl rather than on the heat where'you'd expect her to be with a full gut.I have had it suggested it could be worms so im worming tonight.

Any other suggestions as to what this may be?

Good to see another enthusiastic new comer :)

Re: RE: Stimmie acting weird

Kenshin said:
rub sum sticky tape down on a section of your snake... preferably white tape so you can see black mites when u pull it off mites are bloody tiny so hard to see with naked eye unless its a super bad infestation

So far i have never had might or any thing like this ..........but is this ok to do have thought about it before but not sure if it would hurt them ........

RE: Re: RE: Stimmie acting weird

Well an update, she's still not eaten and has been in her water dish a little less, but last night she was noticbly milky in colour and her eyes are beginning to cloud!!!!!

Thank the Gods, i have already halved my valium intake and everything is cool, i hav added a smoothish rock to her tank (actually a bit of opal in lime/sandstone) will this help her slough? Or would a bit of timber be better?

Thanks for all the ideas, i was 24hrs away from a 'just in caase' mite treatment and about 32hrs away from minor cardiac failure, my g/f has been utterly depressed since she hasn't eaten and my entire life seemed to pick up by a couple of notches when we saw her last night!

RE: Re: RE: Stimmie acting weird

Relax and get off the pills! A couple of snakes here live in the water bowl, including using it exclusively as a crapper.
One snake ate a mouse then shed immediately, another only eats live...one eats everything, another bites the hand that feeds it...all snakes are little individuals....bless their little cotton socks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back