Stimson Or Woma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike83

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just after some advice I am planing on getting my first snake at the frog + reptile expo I am finding it hard to decide what to get I like Stimson's and think Woma's are great looking as well.

This would be my first snake so what would be the better choice for me for if any people have both of them can you give me abit of info about them like size when they are adults and how they handle and any info that would help me make my mind up.

I want to get a hatchling I'm sure ill find some of both at the expo I'm doing a snake course at kellyville pets in a couple of weeks to learn abit about handling and feeding and anything else I need to know before I get a snake I thought better to do the course then just go out and get a snake and do things wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Well if you're inexperienced Stimmies are great. Sure opened up my eyes to a hell of a lot. Dont think I would have been able to deal with a woma as my first snake. But thats me.

I have friends who keep both........

alot of them have problems with feeding their Stimmies...... NONE have problems feeding womas lol

When i first got my womas they wouldnt eat for me for about 3-4months.... and now :shock: they love it!!
Had stimmie and it ate like a champ
I have friends who keep both........

alot of them have problems with feeding their Stimmies...... NONE have problems feeding womas lol

Yeah as it will be my first snake I am leaning towards a Stimson I have herd they can be a pain to feed sometimes I guess I will try and find a seller that has hatchlings that have had a decent amount of feeds and has records of feeds.

What would make Woma's more difficult to deal with for first timers ?
Yeah I have herd that Woma's love their food

I'd have to vote woma. They're easy to feed and have great looks and personalities! I can't really say much about stimmies yet as i haven't owned one before. But i'm looking at getting one soon :D

The only downfall to the woma is the size i think. We started with Spotteds which kind of eased us into the larger pythons.

Well if you're inexperienced Stimmies are great. Sure opened up my eyes to a hell of a lot. Dont think I would have been able to deal with a woma as my first snake. But thats me.

Mate i have had my woma now for 3 weeks as my first snake with no snake experiance at all i had never even touched a snake before, i have had no problems what so ever he hasnt struck at me, he eats every time food is in sight and loves coming out of his enclosure for a explore around the house

go to Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles give that a read

also i started the same thread as this about what snake to get a month or so ago, go through that thread and have a read about what every one said to me.

good luck with your choice

GO A WOMA FOR SURE

Mate i have had my woma now for 3 weeks as my first snake with no snake experiance at all i had never even touched a snake before, i have had no problems what so ever he hasnt struck at me, he eats every time food is in sight and loves coming out of his enclosure for a explore around the house

go to Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles give that a read

also i started the same thread as this about what snake to get a month or so ago, go through that thread and have a read about what every one said to me.

good luck with your choice

GO A WOMA FOR SURE

I never said it couldn't be done, but generally people lead towards Stimmies if they have less experience. In no way did i say GET A STIM or what-not. Easing into the size thing helps with obtaining a smaller pet first. And another thing, not all first time snake owners like their snake after a while and budgeting can get strict. If this is the case, stimmies (at least in WA) are MUCH cheaper and easier to obtain.

Thanks for all the info guys and your thoughts about it.

also dont really buy a breed cos of there temperament...there like humans
Very individual :)

also dont really buy a breed cos of there temperament...there like humans
Very individual :)

I think their both great looking snakes and I guess every type of snakes there would be aggressive and placid snakes.

I keep a handfull of both and Woma's would be my first choice. If they are eating well then they are both hardy, though stims can be picky as hatchies, womas are generally idiot proof.

in my opinion the mid sized pythons are often alot easier for a beginner especially if your planing to get a hatchling! A hatchling ant can be quite fiddly but it really comes down to what you want personally

Stimmys are boring unless they are pinstripes even then womas are still better looking and have more character, get a woma you wont be disapointed!!

It should come down to personal opinion. They can both make good first snakes providing you go with an established feeder. I think womas are the worst snakes in the world, but like I said, personal opinion :) pick what you like best, and pick and established animal

Haha i skipped the stimmies and got carpets, looking for a woma atm. Mates got a pair and i have to say im quite jealous, not of the male though. vicious.

Haha i skipped the stimmies and got carpets, looking for a woma atm. Mates got a pair and i have to say im quite jealous, not of the male though. vicious.

Haha I did the same! None of the 'smaller' snakes appealed to me at all.

I had a Stimmy as my first snake - he was a champ. Never struck once, and had a fantastic appetite in the warmer months. He wouldn't eat a thing in winter, but that was just his thing. He had plenty of heat all year round, but nonetheless, still uninterested if it was cold outside. Other than that, a bombproof snake. My psycho 4yo nephew used to squeeze the jellybeans out of him sometimes, and he'd just wait patiently until he stopped. I miss that little guy (the snake, not the nephew. He's still with us...).

I've heard womas are great, too, though. I'd say pick for looks and size. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back