Stimson, Spotted and Childrens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielM

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I've been researching the care of a childrens python for a while now, and I'm just wondering what the differences are between those python and a spotted or stimsons. Yhe reason for that is because they are such beautiful snake, especially spotted pythons, and I'm going to the sofar expo and hoping to pick a little guy up. For example, do they all grow approximately the same length, do I deed them the same? Sorry for the poor explanation skills... I'm really sorry, but can you huys try and make sense of that. Please..

No difference in care but spotteds attain a slightly larger length. like 1.2m whereas childrens get about 1m and stimmies about 0.8-1m But there are always exceptions. Oh and feeding is the same, except you will need small mice when they're a hatchie and bigger ones when they're bigger. There are a lot of threads on feeding sizes that will tell you what size prey to feed. There's also a chart somewhere saying the size of mice and rats in different stages of their life. maybe helpful?

Best of luck!

I had the same problem when I purches my first snake I was um'ing and arh'ing about which one to get they main deferents is the size which is why I picked the spotted just a little bit larger but I've had no regrets he has been a great first snake gl with your buy

I personally like the stimmies the wheltbeat ones. Think I spelt that right. But anyway I like them because the are lighter and have pretty cool pattern.

I had exactly the same questions when I was buying my first. I was told Children's were the best and Spotted's the hardest to keep. And I ended up buying a Stimmy....:? He's been brilliant. In the end, each snake is individual and all seem to have slightly different characteristics. Any Antaresia species seems to suit beginners, but I reckon you should try and source an animal that is the colour and pattern you like, has a good nature and has a proven feeding history on frozen.

The Wheatbelts are gorgeous as are the Blonde Macs but I still love the look of traditional/wild patterns and colours of any of the Australian snakes so even a standard Mac is gorgeous to me. My mac has hit 1.2m at 2 years old, the female she was bred from was pretty much 1.5m but that is uncommonly long as far as I have seen. Personally of the three my personal preference would be either a Mac or Stimi.

They really are beautiful to keep and the Macs seem to be food processors and not as 'fussy' as the others can be at times as far as accepting different foods or not eating over winter. My girl happily alternates between mice and rats and only stopped to sniff the first rat I offered her for a moment before absolutely smashing it. She is great to handle and still has plenty of personality as far as having a bit of a stuborn steak at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back