Stolen Murray Darling Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kit.mitchell.is

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to put this post, but one of my friends has been broken into and her beloved Murray Darling Python was stolen.

I was just wanting people to keep there eyes and ears out for some one trying to sell (not sure if they would do it legally or not) a 5Ft 4year old Murray Darling Python (pretty sure it is a male), originally stolen from the Northern suburbs of Adelaide.

I have advised her to contact Cleveland Wild Life Park and the Dept of Environmental & Natural Resources, but if anyone else can suggest other place to report that would be appreciated. She is just very concerned about the welfare of her pet(as I am sure we would all feel if it were us).

Thanks

That's horrible. I can almost guarantee it was someone she knew. If she wasn't home, they probably knew when she was going out + had been wanting that snake for a long time and finally snatched it! :(

It sucks that there are people out there who would do this, surely if you can't afford to purchase a snake you wouldn't have the funds to look after it. As for selling illegally I don't understand why someone would attack other keepers or friends for small personal gain. It makes me angry :( I hope you manage to find whoever did this and get your friends beloved back.

I was recently putting feelers out for a Male MD and still have some listings in internet pages so will keep my eyes open for anybody from the area trying to offload one to me interstate.

That one as "crap" as it is, may be hard to prove that the MD if it is for sale was in fact the one that was stolen. Unless there are distinguishing marks or microchipped stolen reptiles are often very hard to track down and prove. I hope all the best to your friend, time to upgrade security I think and mitigate any more "break ins" if they were successful once what's to say they aren't going back for a second time...

Good luck with this and let's hope for a happy ending with this one...

Cheers, Matt

That one as "crap" as it is, may be hard to prove that the MD if it is for sale was in fact the one that was stolen. Unless there are distinguishing marks or microchipped stolen reptiles are often very hard to track down and prove. I hope all the best to your friend, time to upgrade security I think and mitigate any more "break ins" if they were successful once what's to say they aren't going back for a second time...

Cheers, Matt

Is microchipping of reptiles common practice? Might be worth looking into if I ever decide to go large scale and begin breeding.

Cheers, Matt

May be hard to prove....but somebody keen to move an animal interstate from SA to NSW without being on licence might be worth further investigation as a starting point as I doubt they are likely to put it on their licence. Will be keeping my ears and eyes open.

One of the local Vet here will microchip my snakes for $60 each but was surprised at the idea, not something they have done before, which lends me to think that even if a snake was micro chipped they may not even look for one as it's not a common practise, I hope you find your snake,

One of the local Vet here will microchip my snakes for $60 each but was surprised at the idea, not something they have done before, which lends me to think that even if a snake was micro chipped they may not even look for one as it's not a common practise, I hope you find your snake,

I recall a thread here some time ago involving some of our more experienced keepers and from memory I recall that the risks associated with microchipping a snake are higher than that of a dog or cat and should be given careful consideration to the risks before proceeding.

This is only from memory...it would be worth doing more research before making any decision to chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back