Stolen Reptile Register

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
Over the past months there have bee a number of thefts talked about. Also there is an on-going desire to build collections. I think it would be of benefit to all if we could have some kind of register or maybe a new forum that stolen reptiles along with contact details and photos could be registered. That way when I look for a new snake or dragon I can check our Stolen /lost forum to see if the animal I'm about to buy (or have bought) is on the list.

There could be an associated Gallery for identification pictures
8)

Excellent idea.
Since having my collection stolen I have heard that the head on many pythons such as diamonds/carpets is similar to a humans fingerprint,in that no 2 snakes have the same markings (can anyone confirm this?also what about non marked heads like olives,waters,BHP etc?),so photographing your collection is really important.I will be taking head,mid section,tail and whole pics of any new stock I buy in the future and keep this in a special photo album.

PS we can call the new forum APS APB and put an official APB out on any missing reptiles and enforce citizens arrest lol

John

even with Olives and other non patterned snakes there must be a good chance that scale shapes would differ. 8)

Saikrett
I had kept snake species inside the house and had lizards species outside in an above ground pool.In my case I think it was either someone out for vengeance or kids as not only did they take my babies but they also smashed the fishtanks I kept my rodent colonies in releasing all the rodents in the back yard.They also broke a few framed pictures inside the house and had slashed the lounge with a knife as well as taking a dvd player.
IMO a common thief would have got in and out asap taking what they wanted and left.This was more indictive of a person that had bad feelings towards myself.

Edit: I thought id post the missing stock once again in the hope of their return.
1.1 BHP
1.1 woma
1.1 darwin
1.2 jungles

1.3 beardies
1.3 blueys
1.4 water dragons

It really is ashame when people lose all their hard to absolute scum bags. I too, hope you get your colection back CC.
I believe all snakes are identifiable by their scales. If you give your snake a close examination of the body, you find tht they have small imperfections in some scales and even scars. Your snake will be the only snake exactly like that.
I know that on my Black Snake, after the scales under the tail turn into divided scales, the sixth one is a single. Then it goes back to divided for the rest of the tail. It's not suppose to do this and this snake would be, indeed the only snake like this.

What about microchipping?I know its possible and some people do use it but what are the pros and cons?

cheers M.........

This has been brought up before and sorta fizzled out. I agree its a great idea! I am willing to start a database but thought that SJ had already got one underway so didn't progress. I think its a good idea for the site as well getting people to check if their snake is stolen or not.

Also I thought as a promo we could approach vets in each main centre and get cheap microchipping if we referred people to them then they could also do a snake check and get business that way.

What do people think?

Cheers Hawkeye

True Mark,
But the advantage is that the snake could be identified positively if it was microchipped (maybe with satelite gps :lol: )
This is a problem as people cannot definitely identify their snake and chipping would allow you to do it.

Cheers Hawkeye

The problem is getting vets and rescue organisations to scan reptiles that are found even if they seem wild. Microchipping will not stop thefts as im sure vets will not want to scan all reptiles that people bring in for vet checks. The only way to recover microchipped stolen reptiles is if they are let lose or escape into the wild, sorta defeats the purpose of microchipping as a safeguard to try to recover stolen pets.

Why would someone steal a snake if they didnt intend to keep it? unless it escaped and was found, it more than likely wouldnt be brought into a vet for scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back