Stone enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

some members asked me to show photos of stone enclosures. So I am posting some here in new topic.
I am making them from granite or slate and advantage is that they newer get rotten, you can spray water in them as you like and stone absorb moisture in capillary stone body and release this moisture slowly to keep constant humidity conditions. Excellent for chondros.
Also extremely hygienic.
this enclosures last for ewer and don't smell like old timber enclosures do some times.
Also you don't need to paint them ewer.

Attachments

• 101_0520.jpg
    101_0520.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 2008-02-05 001 014.jpg
    2008-02-05 001 014.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3262.jpg
    IMG_3262.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 373
When will you be making these on a mass scale? I would imagine this would be great for some frogs.

Looks good in all and not trying to be a smart a$$ but if it absorbs moisture as you say how would it not also absorb harbour some faecal matter or a really messy feed?

they look amazing !!! i guess no chance any will ever be for sale down here in Vic...

i guess cleaning would be no different to keeping a stone kitchen counter clean just hot water and f10 .

they look amazing !!! i guess no chance any will ever be for sale down here in Vic...

i guess cleaning would be no different to keeping a stone kitchen counter clean just hot water and f10 .
Don't see why not get a slate supplier and some glass door tracks.

love the idea and at one stage wanted to get some made, still prob will one day but the guys here wanted to charge way too much, well it was probably standard price but out of my price range.

yeah look awsome but not to practical...
verry $$$$$$$$ costly, weak, and extreamly HEAVY

How would they go holding tempertures? I would imagine they would be similar to glass and lose heat easily.
But they look wery classy.

looks good. how heavy are they?
this is only problem. They are heavy and 2 people have to cary them. average size enclosure 600x400x800 is about 60 kg and cost $ 450

When will you be making these on a mass scale? I would imagine this would be great for some frogs.

I am making them on order in my stonemasonry. And yes they are great for frogs.

im guessing they would be heavy. how heavy is a 1200, 600, 600mm with glass?

Wow this is big baby, I would say tat this one will be about 100 kg

Looks good in all and not trying to be a smart a$$ but if it absorbs moisture as you say how would it not also absorb harbour some faecal matter or a really messy feed?
I think that reason for this is that capillary porousness of the stone is so fine that only liquid can be absorbed.

love the idea and at one stage wanted to get some made, still prob will one day but the guys here wanted to charge way too much, well it was probably standard price but out of my price range.
Yes delivery to Victoria from Sydney would be about $ 100 that would raise the cost to much.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're nice - another advantage of granite is its specific heat (though I think the glass front negates that somewhat).

It takes a fair whack of energy to heat up granite - but then granite will slow release the heat as the ambient temperature cools overnight.

Though, cleaning may become a challenge as the enclosures age - the large surface area of the floor will be hard to clean if (and when) it gets defecated on. Plus the large surface area and moisture retention may become a breeding ground for smelly bacteria.

Certainly good looking, not practical if you're moving, but granite is definitely my favourite of all igneous rocks!

Hi
Is there any problems with the stone being a little on the cold side, stone usually takes a long time to warm up and if it got hot on a particularly hot day does it take long to cool off?

How would they go holding tempertures? I would imagine they would be similar to glass and lose heat easily.
But they look wery classy.

actually they are great for holding the temperature steady. Unless like glass, stone absorb the heat, and slowly release it. Try to put your hand on rock after the sunset, it is hot for long time from afternoon sun. also that is reason that rocks are used in sauna for constant stem creation.
specially slate, slate is made by layers of settlement stone and is known as great warm flooring for houses.

Hi
Is there any problems with the stone being a little on the cold side, stone usually takes a long time to warm up and if it got hot on a particularly hot day does it take long to cool off?

Yes - granite is renowned for it's ability to hold heat - hence why I use it in hangi (cooking underground).

It will release heat slowly.

It has a decent specific heat capacity - and the glazed surface will do some reflecting too.

Slimby my enclosures are in average 5 years old, and so easy to clean. I just replaced all wooden ones and have only stone enclosures now. Main reason is the easy cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back