Stone enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
actually they are great for holding the temperature steady. Unless like glass, stone absorb the heat, and slowly release it. Try to put your hand on rock after the sunset, it is hot for long time from afternoon sun. also that is reason that rocks are used in sauna for constant stem creation.
specially slate, slate is made by layers of settlement stone and is known as great warm flooring for houses.

Thanks for the reply Slateman. You have got me thinking now.

They are very nice slateman, if only I had the room...

Nice and innovative. I like to see new ideas, new things, the visual aspect certainly beats white melamine.

I was reading about these when you mentioned them on another thread and was waiting for pics.

They look very sleek Slatey, definitely something new/different..nice work mate

Hey mate they look wicked do you mind me asking how much one of those cost to put together they would make a great feature to any home.

I feel the absorption problem could be overcome by sealing the slate, so that probably wouldn't be too much of a drama...and its not as if it is in a high traffic area, so I would suspect the seal would last quite awhile depending on the thickness. I do think they look sexy, i could see my big white olive in an all black enclosure which was slightly lit to show him off. The only problem in my case would be size and weight again.

Anyways as Michael said, nice work and good use of your spare offcuts I reckon! :) Well done!

They look ALOT better then the average melamine enclosure,the mind boggles with these new ideas..Gee i never thought someone would come up with this idea,but im glad you did.They are stunning Slateman..not a bad price considering the work involved,but the weight compared to melamine would be incredible.You wouldnt want to move around much..Top idea...

Those enclosures look fantastic! If you wanted to lower the weight but get some of the benefits, would a slate floor in a mostly wooden enclosure be a reasonable compromise?

i think the best way to stop the water/liquid would be to cut a glass cover into the bottom and put it in as the floor to still see the slate finish and keep things sterile... you would have to caulk the edges to the glass...

You will find that stone will not necessarily absorb the faecal matter as the molecules are far too large. Water molecules are far smaller and are able to seep into the granite. At best the odour causing material and bacteria will only sit on the surface and not actually live in the stone.

You will find that stone will not necessarily absorb the faecal matter as the molecules are far too large. Water molecules are far smaller and are able to seep into the granite. At best the odour causing material and bacteria will only sit on the surface and not actually live in the stone.

Thank you for clarrifying that Virides ;)

WOW! they are the coolest classiest enclosure i have ever seen. Top shelf idea.

Hey mate they look wicked do you mind me asking how much one of those cost to put together they would make a great feature to any home.

as I said price depends on size. average enclosure is about $450 to make.

This is exactly the case mate
I just could not express my self that well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back