Storm Stripped Of Premierships!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its long over due EVERY club go through a major audit. Its long overdue and will protect the integrity of the game, and identify changes that are needed.

As for the storm, of course we will play every single game this season, whats the point? Well for every team we beat we will deny them 2 points and that could be the difference between you making or missing the finals hahahaha. The record books may not show it but it will forever be know Melbourne Storm won those two grand finals.

The record books may not show it but it will forever be know Melbourne Storm won those two grand finals.
Or, alternatively, it will be forever be known that the Melbourne Storm defrauded two honest clubs out of premierships, before their sponsors abandoned them as marketing 'poison' and they disappeared into oblivion.

The general consensus appears to be that the Melbourne Storm have committed the ultimate 'epic fail' in Australian sporting history.

The only honourable thing left for Melbourne to do now is offer to release all of the players from their contracts so that they get the chance, as soon as possible, to sign with a club that will enable them to continue their careers with pride. The "Storm" brand is now, and will continue to be, a tarnished monument to dishonestly buying success in sport.

But I do agree that every club should be rigorously audited and any that have cheated the salary cap should be punished proportionally.

The Salary Cap is an Epic Fail.

It is overly complicated, difficult to monitor and regularly breached.

The simple solution is to go to a points system the same as most fantasy competitions.

Value players out of 100 and give clubs a set points value to spend on their 25 man squad, (ie 60 points x 25 players = 1500). The salary cap divided by the total number of points a club is allowed gives you a clear indication of what a player should be paid.

If the salary cap is $5,000,000, then a 80point player should be paid $5,000,000/1500x80=$266,666 per season. The club can pay the player more of less, as long as their squad is under the 1500 point threshold.

Also after 5 years clubs are entitled to a discount of 25% on retained players, so you would have a player like Steve Menzies who is worth 75 points, however if Manly he only contribltes 56 points towards the squads 1500.

The is would be easily monitored by the NRL, keeps clubs on an even terms, and puts an end to questionable contracts and deals, removing all the question marks over clubs salaries.

Now all we need is an administration that is prepared to adopt such a system, against the vested interests of club CEO’s and their creative Financial controllers.

They can still win games, they just won't be awarded any points for a win. So yes, tipping resumes as normal. However you have to wonder what affect will this have. Will they be down & despondant? Will they come out all guns blazing? Players like Slater, Smith, Cronk etc are still playing for Origin jumpers too. Doesn't make tipping them any easier, that's for sure.

My partner is a storm supporter, and she is devistated at what has happened. But she believes that anyone who breaches the salary cap should get what they deserve.

But what about the poor players who knew nothing about what was going on, all their hard work wasted. Thats a bit sad.

It was done over 5 years, so it could have only been a small amout per player, mabey some did know and some didn't.

I'm not defending what they did, i just think that it is sad for the fans and the players who didn't know

Its really the managements fault and not the players.. I personally have enjoyed the great footy games the storm have been involved in over the past few years and really feel sorry for the players and their supporters.. chin up storm supporters.. you guys will be back in force soon..

give them a break guys.. If your going to play and watch sport.. be a good sport..

that said.. I was born in Balmain :D and grew up in the district..
bloods thicker than water.. Go the Tigers for 2010 :D

even my jungles are black and gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back